Avery chirps to Blake about his cancer…

While there is no audio proof from the game on Saturday, it appears that Sean Avery (while chirping in the opening skate against the Leafs) made some disgraceful comments to Jason Blake about his dealing with cancer.

Howard Berger mentioned on the fan 590 that he spoke with a Ranger about what Avery said to Blake and that Ranger confirmed that Avery did in fact make derogatory comments to Jason Blake about his having cancer. Berger (today – November 12th) spoke with Blake at the morning skate and asked him if that was true and Blake responded with a disappointed “I’m not going to comment” Berger said it was very clear that something cancer oriented was said in a derogatory manner by Avery. the Rangers player even said “I wanted to strangle Avery for what he said”.

This is the only time I’ve ever experienced the thought of actually hoping that someone chops Avery’s head with their stick. I hope that the next time Avery plays the Islanders or the Leafs (Islanders because I’m sure someone he’s friends with will want to punish Avery for his comments…perhaps that’s wishful thinking) that someone pounds the crap out of him…he’ll deserve every bit of pain he feels because none of it can compare to the mental stress that Blake is going through and doesn’t need to be reminded of let alone made fun of before a stupid hockey game…as much as we’re all huge fans of hockey and the NHL; it’s still just a “game” that you “play”.

Avery should be suspended and be made to issue a public apology.

Personally, if I saw Avery on the street; it would take everything in me not to pumble this kid…I’m not saying I’m the Incredible Hulk but I wouldn’t be worried about Avery in any way possible.

Anyway, this is strictly frustration talking and I realize some may be a little too far but it is NOT COOL to chirp at someone about their family and definitely not about someone’s battle with staying alive.

I appreciate the way Avery plays, I really do, he makes the Rangers a better team and the stats since he joined them prove it…but there is a line and he went way beyond that on Saturday.

I know there will be some goons out there that reply to this saying “what’s said on the ice stays on the ice” but there is a line and Avery has gone too far. What he has apparently done is absolutely DISGUSTING and he should be punished for this.

I want to hear your comments, am I over-reacting or am I right to say he might just be the only player in the league who deserves a stick to the head for his comments.

If CaptainAvery reads this it should get interesting.

96 Responses to Avery chirps to Blake about his cancer…

1. ranger_fan says:

Listen – I hate Avery as a person as much as the other guy. He does say things that shouldn't be said, but that is Sean Avery. He will find anything and everything to get someone from the other team off his game and pissed. I am not saying that what he did is right – but it is expected.

2. JuicemaN says:

Absolutely…but he needs his ass kicked worse than anybody ever has and he deserves everything he gets.

3. leafy says:

According to statistics, 1 out of 3 people develop cancer in their lifetime.  Hopefully if Avery or anyone in his family gets it, people will show more sympathy to Avery and his family than Avery has shown to Blake.

Yeah I had a feeling that's what that was all about in the warm up fight. Because when they interviewed Tucker after the first his comments were something along the line of "he's got no class" and "he always crosses the line."

I have to say, I didn't know if the rumours last year of Avery making racial comments was true, and I don't know for sure that this is true, but the game has had a lot of agitators, and a lot of big mouthed guys, and its really not cool to go where Avery (allegedly) went with these comments.

I agree, if he did make comments towards someones life threatening illness, then he should be suspended for the year. There's no place for that anywhere, he might think he's throwing someone else off their game, but I'm sure there are players in the Rangers dressing room who's lives have been affected by cancer in one way or another too. Nobody wants to hear something like that.

I like Avery as a player, he's gritty and tough, and he goes to the net hard and is a pretty smart player, but I don't like him as a person at all.

5. JuicemaN says:

Agreed, but if that was the case and someone made a comment to Avery about it…imagine how he’d freak…he’d be the first to swing his stick at somone for a comment like that.

6. simplyhabby says:

Calling out Fench guys with visors and turtling as Laperiere is pummeling him was redemption.

This was sickening (if in fact proven).  I certinaly hope that he is not only outcasted by his team mates but punished severely by every player he faces on the ice in the league.

Oh yeah, I forgot about his comments towards french people. So now its been: French people, black people, and people with cancer. (If true, which I would guess it is true).

That is terrible!!! This guy needs to give his head a shake. Jason Blake could die. He has kids, he has a wife, their lives will be turned upside down forever. And Avery is chirping Blake about it to give himself some kind of edge in a somewhat meaningless game. Sean Avery is a sick, sick person. I hate him.

the sad thing ranger_fan is that it is expected. It shouldn't be at all. There are other ways to throw someone off their game without bringing that into it. There have been so many guys like Avery in this league who chirp players but I don't know of any who would cross that line the way he did. You can still have that agitator roll without resorting to these types of comments.

9. marcan79 says:

Avery should die

10. JuicemaN says:

Hmmm, ok, a little uncomfortable with that comment but hey; that's your opinion.

Funny none-the-less though.

11. JuicemaN says:

Agreed, now that I think about it; he should actually be banned for life. If the NHL wants to show a "we don't stand for this crap" attitude…that'll do it.

12. habs_punk says:

Just because Berger got a "no comment" out of Blake doesn't mean that's what was said. I'm not saying Avery didn't say any of this, but Berger's opinion of how it was said is far from proof. You can't suspend someone based on a journalist's opinion.

13. JuicemaN says:

I'm not saying they should suspend someone based on a journalists opinion, but they should look into it, talk to Glen Sather, talk to the Rangers players, talk to the leaf players who were on the ice when it happened.

This type of thing shouldn't go lightly, they should take it seriously and look into it no differently than if Avery called Donald brashear a…well you know where I'm going…the N word.  If he did that they would look into it and this is about 100x worse.

14. leafy says:

Reading everyone's comments, clearly people are upset by this and rightfully so.

More than likely, there's something seriously wrong with the guy psychologically.  Maybe poor upbringing, childhood problems, etc.  The guy clearly needs some serious professional intervention from experts, possibly in reputable places like Vienna.  The irony is that the real sick person here is Avery himself.

15. habsrock99 says:

You can't suspend someone unless you have audio evidence that 100% supports the reasoning for the suspension. Look at about 9 or 10 years ago, a Sens player (For the life of me I can't remember who) was chirping at Patrice Brisebois during a game and was constantly calling him a frog and other slurs against the Frnch nation. Brisebois complained the next day and the player was not suspended because their was no hard evidence supporting Brisebois' claims despite the fact everyone knew the player said the comments.

Now, I am in no way standing up for Avery because even though I like him as a hockey player, I don't like him as a person and I enjoy watching Roy Dupuis knock him out 2-3 times in The Rocket. I also hate him for the fact that he somehow got with Elisha Cuthbert (Lucky Bastard).

But like i said you need hard evidence and just "witness" accounts because players will do anything to stand up for team mates and will over-exaggerate certain aspects if it hurts another team.

16. ranger_fan says:

All I keep hearing about is how he has mental problems and this and that. I did say above I don't agree with what he does, but Sean Avery is more successful and probably enjoys life more than anyone here. He is playing the game he loves for a job, making great money, AND somehow was able to bang Elisha Cuthbert

17. habs_punk says:

It's true, but do we really want a repeat of the accusations of anti-French comments against Shane Doan? Granted Doan and Avery couldn't possibly be further apart in terms of character. You are right that it should get looked at, but with no audio evidence, it's just asking for trouble to suspend someone merely based on what other players are saying.

18. habswinthecup-again says:

Avery must have said or did something terribly wrong for Belak to say what he does here
     Belak himself will most likely get suspended for these comments, but it just shows what Avery did must be terrible.

19. leafy says:

What does success/making money have to do with Avery's psychological well being?

OJ Simpson was successful and making oodles of money before he killed 2 people.  Are you suggesting that OJ is also well adjusted?

One of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard in a while.

As for Elisha Cuthbert, she's a ditsy broad with no talent.  If that's the best he could do while living in LA for 4 years, he's also got problems with the ladies.

20. habs_punk says:

Belak probably won't get suspended for saying that, but now if Belak takes Avery into the boards just a little too hard, and Avery twists his knee or something, Belak could be gone for a very long time. Not that he would be that much of a loss to the Leafs. I will admit that there have been times that I have felt sorry for Toronto having Belak on the ice. He has got to be the single least talented and slowest player in the entire NHL.

21. prayin-for-the-wce says:

She may be ditsy but shes hot so its ok .  Any of you guys would love to hit that shit.

22. habsrock99 says:

I thought the same of Elisha Cuthbert until I saw The Quiet and it was by far one of the best acting performances I've seen in a while. If you haven't seen it, it's a good movie despite the fact that it's a little f….d up.

23. habsrock99 says:

Belak will probably not get suspended for the comments but if he does something stupid to Avery (IE. hits him the wrong way) Belak will get a lengthy suspension. Though, he may have covered his a$$ by saying that it may not be him who takes Avery out.

24. leafy says:

Personally, she doesn't do it for me.  To quote Newman from Seinfeld, I need a REALLY pretty face.

25. leafy says:

I wasn't aware of her acting versatility.  I should check it out.

26. habsrock99 says:

If you do, be warned that it is a REALLY f…ed up movie. Like I'm a huge horror movie fan and I've seen the goriest movies ever and this Cuthbert movie seriously disturbed me more so then all of those gore movies combined.

27. Archion113 says:

If it wasn't Avery i'd be shocked.

But it was Avery…  the league will never suspend him.. he doesn't play for the Flyers..

THats the other thing with the league that bothers me.  They allow agitators to play the game while pushing other people over the edge and thats when we get players doing stupid crap.

Remove the Fight Instigator and lets see how long he runs his mouth.  Anyone else just think he looks, acts, and sounds like a douche bag?  He looks like he is trying to be Eminem.

I for one wouldn't shed a tear if he died tomorrow.

28. habsrock99 says:

I agree about the Instigator and have never liked it since they put it in.

They can't logically suspend Avery because they don't have audio evidence and they really can't go by what other players say "happend".

29. leafy says:

I've sat through Gigli and The English Patient.  How bad can this be?

Seriously, I'll just fast forward the dvd with the sound down when the movie gets too rough.  I used that technique to get through Hostel.

30. habsrock99 says:

Oh, it's not gory, it's just morally disturbing.

31. NHLSlayer says:

Bringing this back on to the topic, let's all wonder for a moment if Elisha Cuthbert would approve of these comments, and the fact that she dates/dated an obvious racist/bigot/general a$$hole?

32. NHLSlayer says:

Basically, then, we're talking about a win win situation for the leafs?

Avery out with a major injury, and Belak out with a major suspension?

Oh, Christmas comes early!

(Off To see if Rangers and Leafs play again soon…)

33. Duecey says:

It is wrong yes, but that is part of being a pro hockey player. If you can't put up with trash talk than go hang up your skates now. It's not like he got on the PA and said it or was seen on public TV making these remarks. He's an aggitator and that's what he's paid to do.

34. leafy says:

Oh, then no problem.  I watch all of the White House press briefings by Bush officials.  It can't be any more morally disturbing than that.

35. habsrock99 says:

Avery proposed to her and she said that the only way she'd marry him is if he cut down his goon like behavior and that was before last season and apparently it got through a little bit as his PIM total dropped by 80 and his general on-ice play improved. I don't know what she'd think of these allegations/comments but if I had to guess, she's probably incredibly disappointed/disgusted like the rest of us.

36. habsrock99 says:

hahahahahaha

37. leafy says:

So you don't think there are moral boundaries for human decency, even for agitators?

38. habsrock99 says:

Theirs a reason why racial slurs and slurs of of this nature (Avery's alleged comments) that people get in trouble when said. Theirs a reason why these slurs, when said and proven, come with an immediate suspension + hefty fine in the NHL. Their is no place for these types of comments in hockey, in schools or in society period. If it is proven Avery said these remarks, I hope the NHL does come down hard on him and I hope he gets the biggest fine in NHL history as well as a long-deserved suspension of the Boulerice-variety.

39. Archion113 says:

He also doesn't meet the 3rd criteria for being eligible for suspension…

Must play for the Flyers

40. habsrock99 says:

The Flyers aren't the only team that gets suspensions. Look at Chris Simon or Sean Hill. Both were suspended 20+ games for doing something illegal. It just so happens, the Flyers have had 3 players this season that have done something either questionable (Jones' hit) or plain illegal (Downie and Boulerice) which, in these players cases, 2 major injuries occured and one lucky SOB (Ryan Kesler) managed not to get hurt. Now, I don't want to get into the whole argument over these hits because I'm pretty sure everyone here has put their 2 cents (includng myself) in the articles written about the hits in general.

41. cartino says:

I remember that incident, it was Vaclav Prospal when he was with the Sens who was chirping and calling Patrice Brisebois a frog. Patrice Brisebois did something to set him off I can't remember and when Prospal started calling him a frog Brisebois aired out what he said to the media the next day.

Vaclav had some nasty comments about Brisebois the next day and admitted on air that he called him a frog and added he was unaware it was offensive to french canadians and said something childish like:

"I apologize to any french canadians that were offended it was not my intention nor did I realize the eramnifications of what I was saying, however I refuse to apologize to Brisebois for my comments I have no respect for you at all" Or something childish like that.

He then added some comments about Brisebois's character and the type of person he though he was. by bringing that out to the media as it should stay in the game, Prospal added he gets racial/derogatory comments directed at him every game from being called a bleepin' commie, etc but never whines to the media about it.

The NHL did an investigation but since Vaclav fessed up and "I guess somewhat apologized in a childish manner" they were confident it would not happen again and they let him off the hook.

Not condoning any of his actions but that's what happened.

42. cartino says:

I think Sean Avery needs someone to love him… that's it nothing more  and nothing less and he's screaming out at the world for attention and help.

It's also possible he may be forgetting to take a simple prescription.. you know like one pill a day or you go mentally crazy.

Can't believe Kim Basinger and Rachel Hunter used to be with him….

43. cartino says:

MY BAD: MEANT ELISHA CUTHBERT NOT KIM BASINGER

44. ranger_fan says:

If Sean Avery had a different psychological state, he would be a completely different player. He doesn't have the mental capacity to agitate without making those comments making him a worthless winger.

45. wheresthesoda says:

yea, so i guess maybe Avery didn't say anything about blake's cancer, just
    talking shit about people's family.

This isn't a big deal, this is sean Avery talking chit on the ice, that's his game.

Avery has already said that he looks up dirt on players in upcoming games, like stuff about there family and he talks a lot of crap, i'm pretty sure most people know what he says out there, it shouldn't be headline news unless he's a racist

46. leafy says:

You scared me there, bud.  There's a HUGE difference between Elisha Cuthbert and Kim Basinger.  Kim would never go out with a disturbed self-absorbed moron like Avery.  It's the young ditsy immature chicks that dig Avery.

Kim Basinger rocks.  Ever see her in LA Confidential?  Best hair ever in a movie!  She's almost dangerously hot.  Super nova hot!!!

I completely agree with habsrock99 and Leafy, I disagree with Deucey. The league has had a lot of agitators, tough guys, pests like Esa Tikanen, Domi, Barnaby, Rob Ray, etc. and none of these guys ever resorted to that level to be effective.

December 6th is the next time they play eachother. I hope Belak is dressed for that game.

49. jarcpitre says:

There is trash talk and there is trash talk, but this crossed the line if true. He is a repeat offender and if found to be true he should get suspended. On the other hand in order for the League to suspend him it would have to be a written rule, which I don't think it is. Something should be done about racial slurs or comments toward families, but I know he'll get what is coming to him, can't wait for the next TO vs NYR game. You will probably see other teams going out of their way to hit him, like Blake's friends on the NYI.

50. MikeGartner says:

Unless someone, or this Ranger, has the balls to come out and say who he is, or if Blake is unwilling to say if Avery did it (I mean if Belak can say someone should kill Avery, then I think Avery yapping about cancer is slightly trivial) I do NOT BELIEVE it.  Toronto lost the game, and if it weren't for some really KIND CALLS by the refs, the game would have been a blowout.  Avery walked the walk, and there were NO REPERCUSSIONS, besides ***** Tucker goading him to fight, which of course provided incentive to score a  Gordie Howe hat trick.  UNLESS THERE IS PROOF, besides Berger, on a crazed Toronto station, that Avery did, relax yourself.  Dont you think if he yapped something like that Blake would of attacked him?  He seems pretty loose lipped, as he recently shouted out about the state of the Leafs to the media……