Devils trying to land Clowe

90 Responses to Devils trying to land Clowe

Hope we sign some guys tomorrow. Have fun everyone, I’ll be around, took the day off. haha.

Here’s some guys we could use.

Centre

Goal
    1. Tim Thomas, 39
    2. Rick Dipietro, 31
    3. Evgeny Nabokov, 37
    4. Nikolai Khabibulin, 40
    5. Jose Theodore, 36

Gosh, that D looks way thinner than it did a couple weeks ago without Streit, Gonchar, and a couple of the other re-signigns in the mix. And we really don’t need a goalie, but if we do sign some legit tender, it would probably be coupled with a Reimer trade. Long shot, for sure, but hey, who the hell knows.

Zidlicky or Roszival actually wouldn’t look bad, or Gilbert, all of them righty’s.

• reinjosh says:

I’d be a fan of Roszival. He played quite well for Chicago

Ya, and he was a big part of Phoenix’s run to the conference finals a year ago. Roszival is kind of underrated, and I can’t remember which Hawk’s player was saying that after they won. Whoever it was wanted to highlight Rozie and Oduya, saying they wouldn’t have won without those two guys moving the puck up so well.

3. reinjosh says:

So Vinny L in Philly (I know this is old but I’m gonna bring it back anyways). Does Philly not understand that you need to also stop goals from entering your own net to win? Or do they think all you need to do is put them in the other net?

Anyways, I wonder if this means that Couturier or Schenn is available. My prefence would be Couturier personally. But Philly needs cheap defenders and with potential.

So Gardiner or Rielly for Couturier or Schenn? Interesting to anyone else?

• doorman says:

i wouldn’t trade either for anything less then an impact centre as part of a package, but thats just me.

I like Roszival as he showed in the cup run he is not as bad as advertised by some, just over paid.

4. LN91 says:

State of the cap right now:

Montreal and Philly appear to be over the cap.

Toronto needs to add alot of players.

5. LN91 says:

Scuderi to Toronto?

It’s a great partner for an offensive defencemen like Gardiner, Reilly, or a two-way guy like Phaneuf (We know he cannot shutdown anything). He was also Letang’s partner on Pitt when Pitt kept pucks out of the net.

• nordiques100 says:

he’d be a good partner for Dion.

Gunnarsson could play with Gardiner

and that Franson/Fraser pairing that was great all year round can get back together.

In this scenario, Dion wouldn’t have to play 25+ minutes.

He can be scaled down to 22 minutes.

Dion 22
      Gardiner 22
      Franson 21
      Gunnarsson 18
      Scuderi 19
      Fraser 18

what a much better balanced D

• LN91 says:

Why not Gardiner/Franson? They worked well together. Franson became a better player (offensively and more rugged defensively) with Gardiner because he knew that Gardiner would cover his lack of speed.

Not so much for Fraser lol

• nordiques100 says:

just cause they were the leafs most consistent and reliable pair all year long. just a bigger sample set to gauge an opinion on than the handful of playoff games Gardiner/Franson played together.

either pairing works, but my guess is Carlyle will put the two F’s back together.

• nordiques100 says:

or other pairings

Dion-Gunny
      Gardiner-Scuderi
      Fraser-Franson

or

Dion-Scuderi
      Franson-Gardiner
      Gunnarsson-Fraser

lots of options.

6. mapleleafsfan says:

Reports saying Alfie leaving Ottawa. Good thing I’m not a gambling man based off my post yesterday. Can’t believe he’s leaving. I’d be a little upset if I were an Ottawa fan. I’d say Ottawa are just as competitive as Detroit (rumored destination).

7. JoelLeafs says:

Good on Grabo for tearing into Carlyle. I get the whole new management thing, but he deserved another shot. He was one of the better second line centers in the league before last year. What happened last year? He didn’t play on the second line. He was talented, decent at the dot, and had more heart than any player I’ve seen since Domi. He summed it up perfectly, he’s a fucking second line center that was given time on the third and fourth lines. I’m fine with the buyout because of the money, but fuck the coaching staff for fucking this guy over last year. He was consistently a high .6 and a low .7 point per game player since joining the leafs. He got pounded and always came back. He took any assignment without complaint. Yea, Burke gave him too much money, but the coach fucked him last year and he wasn’t given a chance after a weak shortened season that he saw his ice time drop roughly 5 mins per game (from about 19 to slightly less than 15).

The buyout is business, but someone is going to get a good, passionate, absurdly fast, and very talented center for cheep, and I certainly hope it’s within out conference so that Grabo can show this fucked up organization just how stupid they were in cutting him after one slip up.

Classless move that could very easily bite us in the ass. Fuck the leafs.

• leafmeister says:

All of this upset about Grabo is just a classic case of Leaf fans loving mediocre players. Sure he put up decent numbers, but only on terrible teams where there was no one better. He was given opportunity, but Kadri earned a top 6 role over him, and Bozak’s place with Kessel guaranteed him a spot. The fact a 28 year old Grabovski was out played by a 22 year old, rising star in Kadri should make us happy. Grabovski could thrive under Wilson’s run and gun system, but clearly not in Carlyle’s.

Burke should have unloaded him for a 1st rounder when he had the chance.

Very well put.

• JoelLeafs says:

So fans are no longer allowed to like players on their teams? This is no longer a hobby but a business? Personalities don’t matter, we can’t get attached to individuals?

I’m not arguing that it was a bad move, simply agreeing with Grabbo’s rant about the coach not giving him a chance.

Of course Burke should have unloaded him for a pick, and of course he shouldn’t have been payed that much. Does that mean that what happened to him isn’t shitty and as fans we can’t be upset about this?

I’m sorry if I’m a fan of hockey and like the games, the story line, the emotions, the passions, and the personalities. This isn’t a league in which we will win the cup every other year and can expect to be the best of the best all the time. Is is so crazy to get attached to players.

Making this some fucking equation takes all the love out of the sport and sucks the fun out of it.

That’s fair, Joel. Grabo is a dick though. He whined his way out of Montreal, had all kinds of parting words for them. Then couldn’t out perform Kadri this year, got stuck in a grinding role where he really didn’t thrive, and rather than taking it like a pro, he blames the coach, etc.

I can understand the emotional side of it, Grabo was here for 5 seasons, so that’s fine. But he’s not a great character guy, in my opinion. He was a Wilson fav, not a Carlyle guy.

• reinjosh says:

What? He did take it like a pro. He never once complained until his team decided the right time to buy him out was the day before his wedding.

Toronto fucked him over hard and all he ever did was compete and take it like a pro. It was until after he went through an entire season of his coach doing shit all to help him as a player, that he finally spoke up.

• reinjosh says:

Bozak never should have had that spot guaranteed to him. He didn’t deserve it. He was also outplayed by Kadri yet didn’t lose his spot.

Grabo being bought out is the epitome of bad management and bad coaching.

• JoelLeafs says:

Thank you.

Plus, you know, we have so much depth at C, we can totally afford to lost our top two. Fucking ideological mess on our hands.

• leafmeister says:

Grabo being signed to that deal in the first place was the epitome of bad management. Assuming there was no viable trade option, this was an excellent move. No place for Grabo on this team going forward.

Bozak was indeed out played by Kadri, but Kessel dragged him along so he was able to keep his spot. He got ice time because he played with Kessel.

Leaf fans are so starved for success that we latch on to any player who ‘tries hard’ and gets average results.

• 93killer93 says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. Grabovski started the season on the 2nd line, and he lost his spot. I actually like that Carlyle holds players accountable. If you want to play you have to earn your spot. On a cup contending team, I don’t think Grabovski is good enough to be a top 6 player. I wish we could have traded him and saved the buyout, but I’m glad they got rid of that contract.

• JoelLeafs says:

His contract was bad, granted. But Nonis and co. are taking a pretty big risk by losing Grabo and probably losing Bozak. As much as we bitch about them, who else is there? Unless we’re banking on getting Weiss and, uhh, Anthropov, I guess, who is going to fill the middle?

By the way Joel, Grabo is classless, this was a business move. $5.5 million for a player we really don’t need. No thanks.

• JoelLeafs says:

Classless is one of the dumbest words thrown around this sport. Since winning is the only objective here (apparently), why should class matter?

Was he not one of the most passionate players on the team? Give this guy two concussions in a game and what does he do? Get right back out there and fight in the corners (and sometimes gets the game winner). Give him shit time on a shit line and what does he do? Takes it like a man and never says a word about it. He scores, fights, does what he’s told and plays hard hockey.

He got a paid too much and had to go because of it. Fine. Does that nullify my right to be attached to players I’ve enjoyed watching for years and be pissed off when I think they got dealt a raw deal?

I’m sure this sends a good message to FAs that might be thinking about signing here for 5ish years at 5ish dollars.

TLDR: I’ve had a shit week and overreacted to a player I liked being moved on.

8. realistic_leafs_fan says:

Alfredsson Detroit
    emery Philly

• JoelLeafs says:

Despite being a (sort of) Hamilton native, I think he may be overrated. Put up great numbers… on the best team in the league in a backup role. Though Philly has a pretty good track record with goalies, so I’m sure he’ll Vezina next year.

9. JoelLeafs says:

Fuck. Only day of the year I want cable.

10. realistic_leafs_fan says:

Horton columbus

11. JoelLeafs says:

Scuderi Pens

12. JoelLeafs says:

MacArthur to the Sens. I think he was underrated.

13. leafs_wallace93 says:

Weiss going to Detroit? Did Nonis shoot himself in the foot with buying out Garbo? Hopefully this could force Nonis seek a trade (though not trading from a position of strength which is unfortunate).

Not Bozak please, not Bozak.

Looks like Bozak and Clarkson are going to be Leafs….now lets see the term and $$$$

15. LN91 says:

According to Eklund, “Bozek to Toronto Looks close Per multiple sources.”

…I hope he’s better then BozAk

16. LN91 says:

Fudge, 5 years at 4.5 for Bozak -_-

Fuck, Bozo and Clarkson gonna eat up all our cap space. I don’t see this team looking so great anymore.

Should throw a couple extra bucks at Weiss!

• LN91 says:

I blame Kessel, Carlyle, and the agent for this one.

It’s funny…This means were putting Bozak in the same conversation as Lecavalier.

• JoelLeafs says:

At least we have our “first” line center locked up long term. I’m sure he’ll earn those dollars.

At least we got that guaranteed number one goalie that we desperately needed and all it cost was Reimer’s confidence. Truly puzzling why players don’t want to sign here.

Time to start drinking aggressively.

I just threw up. I’d love to hear some big twist, where it falls apart. Holding out hope.

18. leafs_wallace93 says:

5 yrs 21 million for Bozak

Nonis you’re a fat D bag

19. leafs_wallace93 says:

7 yrs for Clarkson…..

20. leafmeister says:

JVR – Bozak – Kessel
    Lupul – Kadri – Clarkson
    Kulemin – Bolland – Ashton
    Orr – McClement – Hamilton

Gunnarsson – Phaneuf
    Gardiner – Franson
    Liles – Holzer

Bernier
    Reimer

They badly need a blueliner, and if Kadri’s production dramatically declines they could be in trouble for goals. Hold for Bozak, that is not a bad top 6 though.

21. mapleleafsfan says:

#firenonis.. absolutely brutal.

• JoelLeafs says:

This isn’t twitter. Though in all seriousness, we should all take a deep breath and wait. I’m sure we’re all pissed right now, but who knows, they could make it happen.

Maybe the goalie tandem really clicks and we play a balanced game with god secondary scoring with Lups and Kessel leading the way

We’re going to have no choice but to accept it.

Hate Bozak coming back. But Bolland and Clarkson are a big upgrade on Grabovski and MacArthur.

J.V.R. – Bozak – Kessel *okay top line
    Lupul – Kadri – Clarkson *Very good 2nd line
    McClem – Bolland – Kulemin *Perfect 3rd line

This top 9 will also command big minutes, meaning we won’t need much out of our 4th line. McLaren, Orr, Colborne, Ashton seem to be front runners to fight for those depth spots.

Personally, I’d still like to add another forward to the mix. I want Peter Mueller.

We also need at least 1 defenceman, if not 2.

24. LN91 says:

Okay, reasonable cap hit for Clarkson at $5.25…Considering what Clowe got from NJ, I don’t totally hate this deal as well.

Also, Toronto (currently) does not have a forward making over $5.5 million and would you want to play against the Leafs now?

Good point. No I would not. It’s a tough group, for sure. But it means nothing if we don’t strengthen up that back end.

• mapleleafsfan says:

I absolutely totally hate it. How is that a reasonable cap hit? The guy has scored over 20 ONCE! That is absolutely brutal. He will be hogging that cap space until he’s 36, with a NMC / LNTC as well. This makes Phaneufs contract a wet dream. I truly, honestly, do not understand any hype about clarkson. Wasn’t it you Mojo who said Lucic was overpaid? Not that I disagree, but Lucic is 5x the player Clarkson is. He deserves to be paid more than 1 mil. If we thought Grabos contract was bad, give Clarkson one month as a leaf.

• mapleleafsfan says:

And by paid more than 1 mill, I meant paid more than 1 mill more that Clarkson. Lucic should make Clarkson money, clarkson should make tops 3.5 mill – and definitely not for 7 years. Hell, Ribeiro barely makes more money and he’s a PPG in a more important position.

Ugh, I’m ranting, but I hate this. Nonis sucks.

Got to look at it this way.

Komisarek money to Bozak

Grabo money to Clarkson

Mac money to Bolland

I guess the defenceman they try to get either gets Bozak money or trade Liles for more money to use.

26. Gambo says:

I don’t hate the Bozak signing. 4.2m cap hit can easily be traded, 5 years isn’t thaat long anyways. 4.2 is a good salary for a 2nd line centre and that’s what he is. So no complaints there from me.

But 7 years for Clarkson? Fuck me. He’ll forsure be a good pickup for now, but 5 years down the road?? Hell no.