Eastern playoff picture….

What it’s shaping up to be in the standings. Here’s a view of what the playoff pairings should look like.

Eastern Conference:

Ney Jersey
Tampa Bay
NY Islanders

Prediction come playoffs:
#1 Buffalo vs #8 NY Rangers (buffalo in 6)
#2 New Jersey vs #7 Atlanta (NJ in 5)
#3 Tampa vs #6 NY Islanders (Isles in 6)
#4Pittsburgh vs #5 Ottawa (Ottawa in 7)

Note I have the Rangers in the final slot. It really is anyones guess how this will pan out in this. I think the old adage that “defence wins” is what I’m basing this on….look at the stats. The Rangers have had 20+ fewer goals scored on them then any of the other teams.(185, next lowest 209, Carolina)
Not the best of defences, but a great goaltender in Lundquist.
Carolina, Montreal, Toronto and Boston are all valid contenders, but like I said, defence wins. I see Montreal and Toronto taking 9th & 10th with Carolina freefalling and Boston just runnning out of steam.

I can’t see NJ catching Buffalo for the top slot, especially with the Sabres getting a few of their top guns back soon in Drury, perhaps Connolly, and Kotalik, Paille, & Afinogenov due back soon. Defence wins for the Devils; and Broduer has been at his best the entire season. Thank Marty for once again carrying this team to the elite in the conference.

With Lecaviler and St Louis ripping through goaltenders the way they are, they will keep Atlanta at bay for rights to the Southeast. Atlanta needs another year of development and building chemistry and team defence to become a reconized force in the playoffs. Hossa, Kovalchuk & Letoneh will make it interesting whoever they play.

The Isles have a new leader to give the team face and toughness, and coupled with Dipietro and his stunningness of late, I see them pushing up a spot to the 6th.
Pittsburgh/Ottawa. These two seem destined to meet. I think it will be one of the most entertaining matches in the 1sst round if it happens. Pittsburgh has the lead in gunners, but Ottawa retains a large edge in defence. I think it looks be a 7 game series.

It’s all debatable. please share.

34 Responses to Eastern playoff picture….

1. thegoalie1976 says:

Interesting fact:

If Carolina misses the playoffs it will be the first time in NHL history that both finalists miss the playoffs the next season.

2. beckfan05 says:

The Rangers keep getting hit with the injury bug.

First Weeks, then Shanahan, then Straka, then Tyutin and now Hossa.

I think that Isbister played a nice game last night though. But I think he needs to shoot a little more. And Mara is better than Ward, what a shot he has!, and I think hes made Rachuneck a better player so far.

Only time will tell………..

3. ranger_fan says:

I like how Jagr has responded lately. It is about time he has shown he can skate and has limited his lazy penalties. I agree about Karel and Henrik needs to stay strong.

If we keep getting 57 shots a game we are bound to win a few…

4. The-President says:

#8: TORONTO

5. BieksaForMVP says:

I can't see Ottawa going anywhere with Emery. He's good, but not elite. Fluery is outstanding. He's ridiculously good. I say Pittsburgh plays the Nuck's in the finals, and i'm no being biased by saying it will be Vancouver, but goalie wins teams stanley Cups. Also this is a very interesting stat, but if Vancouver went to the finals, then they would have gone to the finals in 1982, 1994, and 2007, and that means they would have gone to the finals every 12 SEASONS. Not years, but seasons.

6. gg_idiot says:

That is an interesting fact

7. gg_idiot says:

Toronto is 2nd in the league in man games lost this season

8. gg_idiot says:

I'm calling a Northwest vs Southeast finals again. Vancouver vs Atlanta. Atlanta wins.

9. gg_idiot says:

I'm telling you guys, Vancouver vs Atlanta.
    Northwest – Southeast
    Calgary    – Tampa
    Edmonton – Carolina
    Vancouver – Atlanta

That's the way its gonna be written in the history books. P.S. Atlanta wins? olol?

10. Radio says:

But not the last.

Yay for salary cap hockey.

11. Grassman2007 says:

Are you joking? Emery has been good and consistent all year, Fluery on the other hand has been very bad at times and very inconsistent for the last while even causing his coach to call him out, he was bad again last night against Ottawa and got pulled.  It will come down to defense if this series happened and Ottawa would have the advantage.

12. NjDEVSFN says:

Devils vs Penguins is turning out to be quite a race.

Devils have been losing in OT/SO lately while that is where the Penguins have picked up 3 extra points (minimum) on the Devils.

Penguins are 7pts back with 1 game in hand. Consider it 5pts back.

They play each other 2 more times, one in NJ and one in PIT (tomorrow).

13. bleedingblu says:

#8 Toronto

14. zdeno_duchesne says:

update (sabres in 4) 😛

15. puckhead94 says:

If Toronto makes the playoffs and plays Buffalo, I think I've seen some Halloween movies that would be prettier than that. Buffalo in 3.

16. puckhead94 says:

Yeah but the difference is that all of the Toronto players suck, and Shanahan, Straka, Tyutin, and Hossa don't. So it makes a big difference.

17. mcpeach2 says:

Fluery is not having a good year.  He comes up with the spectacular save but has not been consistent.  He's even been benched recently.  I dont think its entirely his fault.  Pitt's dfense sucks and I dont think they will make it out of the 1st round if they play a good defensive team.  Dont get me wrong, Pitt is extremely talented and exciting to watch but defense wins in the playoffs.

18. 92-93 says:

the rumours out there right now (national post), is that Tomas Kaberle is gone for the rest of the year with post-concussion symptoms.

now i've been saying that the leafs won't make the playoffs and just miss them for awhie now and its not that big of a leap to suggest that. BUT, with Kaberle out, there is no way the leafs make it.

i do think that White and Coliacovo and McCabe and Kubina can step up in his absence. but he is virtually irreplaceable. and what he can do in his own zone with the puck, AND what he can do to start plays from his zone in all situations of the game, no one else can do – especially on this leafs team (with all due respect to the very good skills from White and Co.).

Leafs finish 10th or 11th. I think the Canes make it in along with the Isles.

19. gg_idiot says:

Yeah Sundin, Tucker, Kaberle, Wellwood, Kubina, and Peca suck, keep talking.

20. mcpeach2 says:

Hopefully it won't start taking a toll on them soon.  They have outperformed basically all of their opponents since Avery's arrival.  It hasnt always translated into wins, but they have outshot the other team in all but one game w/ Avery.  (BTW they won that game 5-0).  The effort has been there even as players keep going down with injuries.  They have been a pleasure to watch.  Hopefully they can keep it going.

21. 92-93 says:

… and its a shame really. the leafs are 2nd in the league in total man games lost – fine. it happens some years.

but for the biggest injury of the year – re: Kaberle, which is as big or bigger than Sundin's absence IMO – to occur with the playoff drive just getting underway, that really is a shame.

and of course, for it to be caused by a dirty player who plays 3 minutes a game for a playoff-bound team … well that is just downright frustrating. hopefully the leafs can perservere here like they have all season long. but it will be tough.

the most important thing is for Kaberle to recover properly and hopefully he'll be back next year.

22. puckhead94 says:

Sounds like somebody's a wee bit upset with Mr. Cam Janssen lol

Come on. Even Leaf fans were KILLING the Kubina signing. Don't give me Pavel Kubina as some highly-talented player.

Come on. Leafs fans were clamoring for a Sundin trade before the deadline. He was a great player, was.

Darcy Tucker is a waste of salary-cap space.

Michael Peca might just be the most overrated player in the NHL.

So yeah, I guess I'll keep talking. Thanks.

23. gg_idiot says:

Every player you just listed is leagues better than Marcel Hossa, Tyutin ain’t to great either.

Killing a signing doesn’t reduce the talent in a player. Overration does not either. Mr. Cam Janssen doesn’t make a player untalented either lol. Asking for a team to trade somebody and rebuild doesn’t make a player less talent either.

Since you’re going to keep talking how about you come up with some sort of stats or actual hockey knowledge pertaining to the argument rather than LOL CAM JANSSEN SO FUNNY OF A NAME ME FUNNY LOL. P.S. You are *****ing stupid.

24. puckhead94 says:

So you wouldn't take Fedor Tyutin on your blueline in a heartbeat?

25. cecilturtle says:

Hossa has just learned to play the game…  It is like a light just went on in his head and the game all of a sudden makes sence to him now and is not too fast for him anymore.  Unless Hossa is injured next year???  He will be one of the best players in the game!  Wait and see…..

26. 92-93 says:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/189192 … hopefully Kaberle's self-assessment is the correct one and he'll be back before the end of the season.

but his long-term health is more important.

27. gg_idiot says:

Look i'm not hear to argue over which players are better or not, ok. I was pointing out that other teams that are struggling for the playoffs have had tons of injury woes also – there are also many teams that are already in the playoffs with similar problems. The only reason I started bashing Hossa and Tyutin is because you made some ignorant comments about those key Toronto players being useless.

28. BieksaForMVP says:

All I meant is that Emery is a good goalie, but not an elite one.

29. SkruinBruin says:

Update- Bruins #8…

…ok, just kidding.  Sounds nice though.

30. PSU_Penguin says:

I don't think the Pens will make the finals for two reasons: Tampa Bay and New Jersey.  Tampa has domianted the pens all year and they have also yet to figure out Marty Brodeur (I miss Alexy Morozov, he could always get one past Brodeur!).  Everyone else the pens ahev proven they cna play agaisnt but I just think that one of these two teams will knock the pens out.  And as others have said, Fleury is great but inconsistent.  Emery is good but he and Fluery both have little or no playoff experience so the playoffs could really make anything happen.

31. gambit101 says:

I will say i like the top 8 just think so much posibility to change.
    Like #1 will be buffalo im pretty sure. injuries and all but the have the depth to hold the fort down. Can NJ catch maybe but Sabers have 2 games in hand. And i would be more worried about Ottawa cathcing buffalo or the Mighty Pens on the shoulders of sid the kid. 12 points is a lot at this time in season but buffalo starts losing like lost to colorado… its free game for a hot team to come in and sweep. But I look at standins like this
    #1 Sabres vs #8 Rangers
    #2 Penguins vs #7 Lightning
    #3 Thrashers vs #6 Islanders
    #4 Senators vs #5 Devils

might seem far fetched but i think ottawa and penguins will past devils in total points forcing them to 5th but dont matter i see ottawa devils in first round. to me would be an amazing series.

32. passionch says:

Wow, that is pretty funny!

33. passionch says: