Jackets Tried To Sign Jagr

columbus

The Blue Jackets, looking for top six forward help even before they traded franchise winger Rick Nash in July, attempted to make a splash in free agency by signing an NHL legend.

The Jackets extended a one-year, $4.2 million offer to future Hall-of-Fame winger Jaromir Jagr, The Dispatch has learned. GM Scott Howson confirmed the offer, but didn’t wish to comment further. Jagr, who turned 40 in February, signed a one-year, $4.5 million contract with the Dallas Stars on July 3.
Blue Jackets senior adviser Craig Patrick, who drafted Jagr with the No. 5 overall pick in 1990 when he was GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins, would have had a heavy hand in the decision to make Jagr an offer.
Seen as a temperamental, flighty wunderkind early in his career, Jagr has become one of the NHL’s renaissance men in recent years. After playing three seasons in the KHL, Jagr returned to the NHL in 2011-12 last season and had a very good season with the Philadelphia Flyers: 19-35-54 in 73 games. He also drew raves for his work ethic and mentoring of young players, including former Jacket Jake Voracek.

37 Responses to Jackets Tried To Sign Jagr

What do these 4 teams have in common, which is unique to the other 26 teams? (Trivia)

Blue Jackets
    Devils
    Panthers
    Red Wings

???

Anyone remember who scored the 1st goal at the ACC? Clue: He came from Quebec in the Sundin trade about 5 years earlier.

• JoelLeafs says:

Pfft, that’s a tough one. Was it a player in the trade, or a player drafted from the pick that went over to the leafs? (resisting the temptation to google this)

Also, I didn’t know this off hand, but who scored the last goal at MLG?

• 93killer93 says:

Bob Probert scored the last goal at MLG. No clue who scored the first at the ACC.

• lafleur10 says:

the 1st goal ever scored at the acc was by todd warriner

• lafleur10 says:

haha i’m not even a leafs fan …………just thought i’d take a chance and answer that question! that was a good one mojo these trivia questions are fun keep them coming?

here is one for you

who is the only defenceman to ever score a hat trick in a stanley cup finals game?

• nordiques100 says:

Eric Desjardins.

and who has vaulted into one of the most overpaid players in the NHL?

Brad Marchand. Brutal. he is a good player. but not more than twice the player of Alex Burrows is he? And Burrows was going to be unrestricted when he re-upped wasn’t he?

3. TimTheBone says:

Wow 25 comments deleted over night

4. It’s been a boring off season here at Hockey trade rumors. Nobody is really posting anything, not that there’s anything to post. I remember last year there were a lot of topics with 200 comments.

• JoelLeafs says:

Yeah, I think the site change might have hurt the dialogue a bit. I mean, as far as I know we can’t submit articles, or even see the articles we may have previously submitted. I enjoyed writing opinion pieces that sometime generated some comments, but now all we seem to have is news stories that are re-posted by Trade Man. I don’t come to this site for news, I come for discussion, and even though the news does generate some discussion it always seemed to be the opinions/questions/predictions that generated the longest and most interesting threads.

• JoelLeafs says:

And the censorship can’t help, it pissed me off enough to use other forums, notably the Something Awful NHL thread.

• TimTheBone says:

Yeah you just need to hijack threads in order to create your own articles really…. I had quite a few good little discussion articles I wrote….

• TimTheBone says:

The new format has hurt the volume and the depth of discussion I feel…. But my problem remains this… In the 5-6 some odd years I’ve been coming here, I’ve had the best time discussing hockey matters here… No where else ever compared… I can’t go anywhere else because there is just far too much stupidity and bias

• JoelLeafs says:

There are some good threads here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=122

I get what you mean though. I like this site because I know everyone and the discussions are usually informative and respectful (okay, maybe I get into it with LN91 now and again), that and the investment we’ve all put into it. Maybe it’ll get better over time.

Ya, LN91 is the only regular on here who acts childish, and Lafleur from time to time. But even both those guys are pretty good a lot of the time.

And yes, I’ve had my account here since 2003 and I’ve really enjoyed it. I think they’ll sort out the problems and this will be a good site again.