Leetch a Leaf!

Info from Sportsnet: Toronto has picked up Brian Leetch, it will include a combo of picks and a prospect back to New York no details have been issued as of yet. Details soon.

410 Responses to Leetch a Leaf!

1. cyclone says:

The Bruins may have made the better deal, but they are still a 4 or 5 player team. They have the Thornton-Murray-Knuble line, and then Brian Rolston. If their first line ever gets shut down effectively, they are screwed. Gonchar can still score, but he cannot dictate the pace of a game, especially when his game right now is dependent on assists and he’s got no one to pass to.

2. cyclone says:

3. sportside24 says:

Leech is only 36, look at detroits defense, they got chelios what 4 years ago man that guy has been rock steady if he could bring that to the leafs , look out, i think it was a fair deal, you have to remember gonchar is going to get a big pay raise this year too more than leech is making, could have been a factor, the draft picks and players traded won’t be in the NHL for a while leech is what toronto needed right now a good solid d-man.. Leaf defense will look a lot different now, 2 solid pp lines now.. good deal for both teams…

4. SwiftLEAF says:

No one cares about Gonchar anymore.

Gonchar is about the same as leetch. Yeah, one is younger but the other has more experience.

The story’s about Leetch now.

Also, if Morrisonn is so good, boston might have given too much. If you look at the leafs trade, Kondratiev is a player who doesn’t even like to play in North America.

5. SwiftLEAF says:

talking about Mckenzie, he has said that any team that wants to win a stanley cup needs a veteran D man and he pointed to Chelio’s detroit.

6. sportside24 says:

If theres a lockout gonchar is an UFA and will get 8-9 million a year which boston can’t afford, so then toronto will just sign him..

7. ohcanada says:

Ok…lets take a better look at these two deals…

LEAFS AND RANGERS

Leetch had been a Ranger since turning pro after the 1988 Winter Olympics. In New York, he was a member of the Rangers’ 1994 Stanley Cup championship team, won the Conn Smyth Trophy as the most valuable player of the postseason and also won two Norris Trophies as the NHL’s top defenseman.

Leetch, 36, has 13 goals and 23 assists in 57 games for the Rangers, but his overall solid play wasn’t enough to keep the Rangers’ season from going bad.

“Brian is not only one of the best players to ever play for the New York Ranger, he’s also a classy individual,” Rangers President and GM Glen Sather said. “As we proceeded down the path we feel we did very well with the players we got and the draft choices we got. We felt that going as far as we did go with Toronto was as maximum as we could get.”

BOSTON AND WASHINGTON

In Boston, the Bruins improved their defense immeasurably with the addition of Gonchar. But he didn’t come cheap. The Bruins surrendered young defenseman Shaone Morrisonn, plus first and second-round selections in the 2004 Entry Draft.

But in return they secure a 6-foot-2, 215 pound workhorse with a big shot. He has scored seven goals and 42 assists this season and is expected to make his Boston debut Thursday night against the Rangers.

“The addition of Sergei makes us a better hockey club,” Bruins GM Mike O’Connell said. “He is one of the premier offensive defensemen in the game and that was an element that we felt needed upgrading on our team. He moves the puck very well, has great awareness on the ice and will be a great addition to our power play.”

I’ll take Leetch any day……sorry Boston fans…

8. ohcanada says:

Well….read the comparison between the two players….I would have to say the Leafs got the better player…..

IMO

9. devfanman4 says:

What a sad 24-hour period for Ranger fans. It’s going to be at least another 2-3 years of no playoffs in rebuilding mode. For the first time in my life, I feel sorry for you guys. I loved Leetch. He and Ritcher were the only Rangers I liked. The dark days in NY will continue.

10. SwiftLEAF says:

I felt the same way as you did. At first, you think that 2 prospects is too much but we didn’t have to lose stajan, colliacovo, ect. I’ve also heard that Kondratiev doesn’t like to play in North America. The Rangers took a big risk but you never know.

11. hockeyhead6868 says:

I’ve watched Leetch for many years and he is one of the best. However , he is aging and it was time to rebuild and the Rangers got a good return. This makes the Leafs somewhat better offensively but they still will lose. No one is going to beat the Wings.

12. SwiftLEAF says:

I don’t know about no playoffs, I see the rangers making the playoffs next year (if there is hockey). You can’t forget that Jagr and a couple good F’s are still on the team.

13. SwiftLEAF says:

Also, it doesn’t look like the Gonchar trade would be worth it in the long run. Arbitration is coming up and it doesn’t look like Boston will be able to afford it. If they could, he still will be pretty expensive.

14. spazmainia13 says:

15. SwiftLEAF says:

I’d worry about Tampa Bay first.

16. PolishKid says:

The Stars were going for Leetch and Gonchar, but both are gone now so its hard to imagine what kind of an insane trade they may make. They may not even do one because they are playing so well right now- 12 unbeaten. I think they need to get Pronger or someone. They are saying Pronger won’t be leaving St. Louis, but Leetch said he wasn’t leaving NYR especially with his no-trade clause, but he did!

17. spazmainia13 says:

Someone wanna do a count at how many leaf fans back up their “buddies” with either “preach it brother” or “testify” or “amen”?

wtf?

18. kovalev says:

actually Kovalev had his best years without Mario, for your info…

19. RichterFan says:

Excuse me while I vent for a second. ***** Glen Sather that piece of shit. I understand trading off players to free up money and build a younger team. But Leetch is the exception. He should of been allowed to retire as a Ranger. Glen Sather has no honor. If he knew what Leetch meant to this franchise he would have never traded him. Sather is a big part of the reason that the Rangers are the biggest joke in the NHL. Today I am embarrassed to be a Ranger fan. Today I am throwing my name into the circle for the next Rangers G.M. Hey I couldn’t do any worse than that *****.

20. spazmainia13 says:

just a harmless question without really any intention of getting anybody upset in any way.

what is there to be jealous about?

21. spazmainia13 says:

Gretzky!!! remember that guy, guess who his GM was(unless it was Muckler for some stupid reason at that time).

From what i’ve heard on here from ranger fans is that the owner(Dolan?) pretty much just tells his guys what to do and they go and do it. Much like Pocklington.

Isn’t that sorta the situation? I’m asking cause your obviously a ranger fan and well, i’m not.

22. CaptainModano says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!…..no they are not. 2nd round, tops.

23. CaptainModano says:

p.s. quote me on that

24. CaptainModano says:

Who would Dallas trade for Pronger? Armstrong said he wouldn’t deal Ott, Morrow, Kapanen, Miettinen, or Daley….which basically leaves other roster players, goalie prospects, and picks…I don’t think Dallas has anything to offer the Blues for Pronger and his monster contract. He makes more than any Dallas player!

25. CaptainModano says:

Tampa, Ottawa, San Jose, Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, Minnesota, Phoenix……Toronto

Every other team has been to the Stanley Cup Finals at least once since 1967…that’s 21 other teams in today’s NHL.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s a pretty embarrassing stat for the Leafs!

26. RangerBlue says:

Leetch did not have a no trade clause in his new contract, his old one he did.

Sather was free to deal him to any team he wanted and he did.

27. cwthrash says:

I went 20 years without having any team whatsoever, that is infinitely worse for anyone who calls himself a hockey fan. Not having a team that I can go see their games, root for and call my own is miles beyond that. I would gladly take 36 years of no cup than take the 20 that I had to endure without a team.

And your right, the Leaf bashing does get old. It’s petty and useless, as is the constant and *****y assertions of Leaf fans that bring it on (and you’re just gonna have to believe that there is more than a little *****iness amongst some Leaf fans). But my comment before was not to bash Toronto, which I thought was fairly clear. All I tried to do was explain a few legitimate reasons why people get upset with Leaf fans.

Most rumors do have sources. The legitimacy of those sources is however a large point of contention, and I’m not just talking about rumors involving Toronto but rumors involving just about every team. Some of them are legitimate, but more are simply not. Comments from a team official or what-not are often taken out of context and printed in a paper or on a web-site because the editors know that will attract readers. Sometimes rumors are completely fabricated and they take on a life of their own once the public gets a hold of them. I’ll concede the point if you know for a fact that said rumors came from concrete and reliable sources. Anything short of that and I remain a skeptic.

You can choose to believe what I said earlier or at least consider it an option. Or you can ignore it and keep looking with that tunnel vision, not believing that there are possibilities outside that narrow view. That is entirely up to you. But don’t make the mistake that I or most people have jealously as a motive. I always try to be as honest as possible here. I was being sincere that outside of when they play my Thrashers, I keep abreast of their activities only as much as I would any other team. No more, no less.

The difference is our perception. Even though I’m not one of the out-and-out bashers, I do get tired of Leaf fans saying basically the same things over and over (and some of you guys really do that). As is evident, you don’t see it that way and think the bashing is not called for. Please, try to see it from a different perspective. Not everyone sees Toronto as the center of the hockey world, we are not jealous of your team and/or your history; we legitimately do not care that much about the team.

28. finger says:

when you get intelligent let me know cuz you’re f’n dumb , blind & stupid

29. Killa_Bs says:

Let me start off by saying that I am glad that Toronto got something. The fans of Toronto were acting like jealous little children on their siblings birthday.

I am not going to say that the Leafs won’t improve with Leetch. Leetch was a great player and still is a good player. One Ranger fan wrote that he now understands what Bruins fans felt like when Bourque left Boston. It surely is painful to see the player who has carried your team for the last 15+ seasons but I am glad that NYR is going to rebuild.

I also think that Toronto did pretty well when it comes to what they had to give up. I would say they paid just a little less than the Bruins did for Gonchar. You have to keep in mind that Gonchar is 7 years younger and at this point in their career a little better. Considering that Leetch has maybe 2 or three years left in him and Gonchar has 8-10 I think the Bruins did better.

30. cwthrash says:

When did we get the naughty-word filter? Never seen that before.

It’s just a normal word anyhow. Much better than writing “extreme over-confidence”. Nothing to do with an anatomical fun-part.

31. AVS4NYR says:

WHY ARE LEAFS FANS SO F*CKING IGNORANT??? YOU GUYS GOT RIPPED OFF!!! 1st and 2nd rounders and Kondratiev??? It has to be a joke. Yeah you got an awesome defenseman, but for that price??? Sather is finally making up for all the years that he has f*cked the Rangers over. He does a better job selling superstars than buying them. AWESOME TRADE SLATS!!!

32. AVS4NYR says:

33. Leafs88 says:

Isn’t this copied from NHL.com. You didn’t even give them credit…

34. sean71 says:

Good job JFJ!!

For all doubters out there thinking we overpaid, remember we still have our top prospects (minus this years draft of course) and the prospescts given werent going to play on a veteran laden club anyway.

The only thing overpaid here is his salary, but one of the fortunes of Leaf Nation is they have the green, they often just dont use it right. THIS TIME we did GREAT!!

FINALLY, a captain on the blue line, that is, a captain respected thoughout the league. McCabe, our closest to the ‘C’ is considered a cheapshot artist.

Now lets see Carlo be taken under the wing of Leetch…………mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wings….

35. sean71 says:

o yes, an lets not forget, Leetch’s pricetag seems a lot more reasonable when you think Gonchar will demand more than that after the season in arbirtration. To Boston’s credit, they will get their draft picks back when they walk away from his contract.

and 36 is too old? I tend to believe defensemen get better with age(exception Phil Hously). Maybe not in the hands, but their sense of the game. The Leafs have enough forwards to ‘teach’ the game to the youngsters(yes we now have youngsters), now maybe we can unite our core D. We have too many fifth or sixth dman however, so hopefully JFJ isnt done

Finally, a top four not to snicker at!

McCabe-Leetch

Kaberle-Klee

Id buy that for a dollar!

36. Tradedude says:

ya ok there

kondratiev gave out on his team in minors and immonen is too short. 1st and 2nd in a weak draft, who cares?

37. RichterFan says:

Oh believe me Dolan is the biggest part of this problem. But Sather has to have balls and try to convince Dolan that they need to rebuild. He is the one that Dolan hired to straighten out the team. So Sather does a radio interview for his buddy in Vancouver and bashes the players, the fans, and Dolan himself. For that alone he needs to be fired. He once claimed that with the payroll of the Rangers he could win with the Oilers all the time. Well he got tha players and all he could say is that “it’s a different ball game here.” I mean what kind of answer is that?

38. guinsfan4life says:

First let me say that the Leafs are definately a better team with Leetch now on their blueline. There is no question about that. Are they the favorite in the Eastern Conference? I don’t think they are the favorite, however they have to be considered one of them. I don’t think they can be considered the favorite yet, having only added one player. But then again, I don’t think there is a clear cut favorite.

I believe the questions now are, did the Leafs overpay for a 36 yr old d-man, who makes over 6 million per year, and has become suseptible to injuries over the last couple years of his career. In my opinion, while the Leafs are a better team with him, they did overpay, which was probably because;

1. Fitzgerald Jr., missed out on Gonchar

2. Fitzgerald felt he had to make a deal for the sake of making a deal to get fans and media off his back.

Another thing I find particularly interesting is that I saw posts by Leaf fans on the Gonchar trade say that the Leafs needed a more physical, crease clearing defenseman, which obviously Leetch isn’t.

If you believed that the leafs needed a more physical d-man, how do you view this trade, leaf fans?

It will be interesting to see if Leetch can stay healthy for the rest of the season. If I am a betting man, I would bet that something happens and he will not be able to contribute in the playoffs.

39. KUBLI-KAHN says:

id bet my life on the fact that the Leafs dont even make the conf. finals……keep dreaming

40. KUBLI-KAHN says:

never said he wasnt a “good” goalie, but tell me what hes done for the Leafs in the playoffs smart guy??????

41. KUBLI-KAHN says:

im gonna laugh my ass of when Leetch goes down with a season ending injury. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO, YEAH GO LEAFSGO! dork

42. guinsfan4life says:

Listen, Sather might have showed no honor, but players these days show no honor, so he is just giving it back. All the players he signed and shelled out huge money for?? What have they done for him? Not a damn thing. Hockey is a business, first and foremost. You run your business the correct way and make decisions that will improve your team for the long haul. He did that. After the lockout, Leetch may have 2 seasons left at best.

43. bleedingblu says:

Maybe as many as Detroit.

44. BosBrn77 says:

Please add Luongo to that list! He has stolen enough games for the Panthers this year.

45. BosBrn77 says:

He said “DRAFT PICKS”!! Not “PROSPECTS”!!

46. BosBrn77 says:

Gonchar can’t walk from Boston… he is a RFA! Which means if someone signs him… Boston get compensation!

I think Boston and Toronto did very well in their trades. Neither gave up a lot to get all-star caliber d-men! Gonchar has a slight upside on Leetch, and I mean slight, so Boston gave up a better prospect then both of the prospects Toronto gave up.

Both teams did very well… and their fans should be proud!!

47. BosBrn77 says:

Gonchar is a RFA, Bishop. Plus he has arbitration rights. Boston can’t let him walk… but can get great compensation if he signs elsewhere.

48. bleedingblu says:

THANK YOU SIR!!!!

All I hear are all these Leaf bashers complain about Leaf fans…. you know what? Talk about your own team …. oh wait….that’s right…..no gives a shit about your team.

We are all True Blue Fans and if it bothers you, stay away from any Maple Leaf postings.

49. bigair900 says:

i totally agree

50. Aetherial says:

Coverage and attention…

Let’s face it, it is a lot more entertaining to be a Leaf fan when you are actually interested in all these rumors. People want us to shut the F up because they are bored that there is not much talk anywhere about their own teams.