Maple Leafs interested in Shane Doan

The Maple Leafs are among a dozen teams that have made exploratory calls to Shane Doan, captain of the Phoenix Coyotes, who opened himself up Monday to the idea of leaving the only NHL franchise he’s ever played for just as it was facing another threat to its existence.

A source confirmed to the Star the team made serious overtures to Doan’s agent, Terry Bross.

Chicago, Detroit and Vancouver are thought to be the frontrunners for Doan’s services. Others known to have made a pitch are St. Louis, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, the New York Rangers, Winnipeg and Los Angeles.

Teams that missed out on Zach Parise see the 35-year-old Doan, a power forward, as the next best option. Many of the same teams are also interested in trading for Columbus winger Rick Nash and Anaheim winger Bobby Ryan.

Doan became an unrestricted free agent July 1 but told teams he wanted to see how events that affect the future of the Coyotes unfolded this week in Glendale before making a decision on his playing career.

“We don’t want to create a false expectation he will leave until it’s a real possibility,” Bross told the FAN590 radio station. “Shane’s first desire is to finish what he started in Phoenix and stay with the franchise and finish his career where he started it.”–maple-leafs-interested-in-shane-doan

75 Responses to Maple Leafs interested in Shane Doan

1. JoelLeafs says:

Western guy whose career was mired in losing. Just look at how passionate he was when ho got eliminated; his frustration and anger was likely the result of a 19 year build-up.

Yeah, maybe he would entertain coming to To. to be in the spotlight and play with a young team, but he realistically I doubt it. He can basically pick where to go. He doesn’t need money, so I doubt he’ll be pimping himself out to the highest bidder (cough, Jagr). Biggest of all, out of all those teams mentioned, Toronto is probably the least likely to make to the a cup final before Doan retires.

I’d love to see it, but it ain’t happening…

My bet is Van city… providing they do something with Lu.

• kessel_leafs81 says:

i deffinately agree.. i see him going to pittsburgh. They need the winger that can score and he’ll bring in some much needed heart. There was no heart in that pits-philly series for pittsburgh.

If Pittsburgh got Doan, that would be a bold move. I think it will be Philly, Holmer always seems to pull these kinds of deals off. He’s always got one more trick up his sleeve.

2. Ryrad8 says:

Would love to see him go back to Winnipeg, but highly unlikely.

3. LN91 says:

Darcy Regier has had an incredible year. Probably the best year of each GM in the league.

In 2012 alone, he has shipped out:

Paul Gaustad
    Derey Roy
    Zach Kassian
    Marc-Andre Gragnani

He has brought in:

Cody Hodgson
    Steve Ott
    Adam Pardy
    Mikhail Girgorenko
    Zemgus Grigensons

Has completely changed the complexity of this entire franchise. One that is physical, has potential superstars, and will most likely be the class of the division in the next few years.

Some question the D. But Tyler Myers is a cornerstone defencemen…Add him to a core of Robyn Regher and Christian Erhoff…And it’s not that bad. Also, Mark Pysyk looks like a great prospect as well…He could compliment Myers in the next few seasons.

Add in prospects that I was very fond of, Joel Armia and Marcus foligno…As well as great players like Vanek and Pominville. Things are getting scary in Buffalo.

• TimTheBone says:

It’s true…. Likely girgesons and grigorenko don’t play this year….. So you can effectively remove them from the list for now….

• reinjosh says:

I’m actually fairly convinced Grigorenko will play. I don’t know, just a guy feeling really. I think he’s ready for the NHL game

• TimTheBone says:

But with leino, hodgson, Ott, Ellis, adam, and McCormick…. Where does he fit in?… You wouldn’t wanna bury him in the bottom 6… That’s a waste of development…. And the line-up is likely to look like this

Vanek leino pominville
          Gerbe hodgson stafford
          Ennis Ott Foligno
          Adam McCormick Kaleta

That’s mostly what the lineup should look like… I can’t grigorenko fitting in anywhere this season

• reinjosh says:

Ott said he prefers the LW and Ennis was playing center last year.

It’s more likely they play Ennis/Hodgson on the top two lines and have Grigorenko play the third line. It may be a waste but it’s a good way to have him transition into the NHL. Their center’s are shockingly lacking in size, they need to have someone with it playing this year.

The biggest issue is Leino I guess. I’m not sure where he fits at all. He was horrible last year and he certainly a top line guy nor a third line guy. I honestly think he’s going to ride the pine a lot.

I said it was my gut he plays on the Sabres, but there has also been some rumors coming out of Buffalo that they think he will make the team. Maybe it’s just that, rumor, but I do think he could make the team.

• TimTheBone says:

Oh he sure as hell could make the team… But imo I don’t see him sticking after his first 9 games unless he’s playing at a ppg pace… He needs to impress big time… I don’t think leino on the second year of that contract sits…. He’ll get another big chance…

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

gotta take Grigorenko out of the in list since that was Buffalo’s own pick and you have to add Buffalo’s 2nd round pick to the out list because of the trade up to get Grigensons….

In 2012 alone, he has shipped out:

Paul Gaustad
      Derey Roy
      Zach Kassian
      Marc-Andre Gragnani
      2013 42nd overall pick

He has brought in:

Cody Hodgson
      Steve Ott
      Adam Pardy
      Zemgus Grigensons

whether he wins this exchange or not is impossible to tell right now. You can argue he did but until Hodgson fully develops and Grigensons plays some NHL games you cannot be sure.

• reinjosh says:

I don’t think people give Derek Roy enough credit. He’s had two rough seasons in Buffalo but before then he was a 70 point player for three years straight with 40 plsu assists in 4 straight seasons. For whatever reason he didn’t get along well in Buffalo but I think he’s going to have a good season in Dallas.

He did need to move though and I think getting Ott was a decent move for Regier. WIth Ennis, the Sabres already had a high skilled small player (who was a lot younger) so it made sense to move Roy.

Regier’s done a decent job so far. It’s not amazing but it certainly isn’t crap. He’s adding some top tier prospects and made this team bigger and more skilled. Adding Hodgson, Grigorenko, Armia and Girgensosn over the past two years (whether through trade, or picks) has been a big help to that team. It’s going ot give them a decent core to build around, a core that is balanced with both skill and size on both the wings and up the middle.

Also I have to say I agree with LN91 on Armia. I’m a big fan.

4. daveykeonLeafs says:

The new list of players isn’t that much better than the old list, and he had his own first rounder to make the new list better. While I do agree that Buffalo is going to be a good team, I think it was stupid to ship out Kassian, and he’s taking a flyer on the G’s in the draft. The thing to remember is that as soon as a player is drafted, they look awesome to the fan base (ie. kadri) but you can’t declare them to be stars right out of the gate. But I do see them winning the division this year.

Leafs taking Kulemin to arbitration. Usually this doesn’t turn out well. We’ll get him on a 1 year deal worth around $2.1 million, which I think both sides will not walk away from, and then he’ll go UFA next year and maybe bolt.

Cody Franson on the other hand apparently does want to play in Toronto, but we’ll see how far the sides are apart on this guy. How much would you pay for him? $1.5 million is good to me, how about 2 years $3 mil? Fair for both sides and he gets a couple years to earn more bucks.

• Shoelesshobo says:

Honestly here are numbers I am happy with.

Kulemin 1 year 3.1 million He gets a fair raise and a chance to prove he can score again.

Franson I would look at the 1.5 to 1.9 million range. Short term he wants to stay and we have the money I honestly do not see the problem?

• dumbassdoorman says:

The problem for Franson is playing time, maybe he feels he should play, maybe they feel he should play better? As for Kulemin, if he is getting a raise it better be a 2-4 yr deal.

• That would be a dumb move on Kulemin’s part, unless he thinks that his 30 goal season was just a season of lucky bounces. If works out for Toronto if they can sign him with a slight raise, hope he can regain that scoring touch, and run naked through the streets bragging about the steal of a deal they have for the next 4-6 years. But for Kulemin, unless what he gave you last season is what he’s going to give you this season, it’s a bad move for him.

I don’t think he’s going to be a consistent 30 goal man, but I also don’t think his last season of 7 goals is a fair indication of the type of player he is either. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Kulemin, to me is an excellent defensive winger, easily the best we have on the team. A beast of a back checker, a great guy at breaking up plays through the neutral zone and in the defensive zone, and he’s got a good hard wrist shot, which makes him a capable sniper when he gets rolling.

Even if he could be a 20/20 guy for the next 3-4 years and provide the type of defensive play we’re used to seeing from him, then I think he’s a great 2nd/3rd line winger. Perfect as a number 6-7 winger on the depth charts, and probably worth in the $3-4 million range somewhere.

However, going to arbitration usually results in a one year deal, and I think he’ll get closer to $2.1 million given his recent struggles offensively, and then I think he may be bitter and leave. This is not uncommon when things get to arbitration, they say players hear things about themselves they may not want to hear. I mean, Burke could easily at the arbitration hearing blame part of last years collapse on Kulemin. We were really counting on Kuley to produce at least 20+ goals and bring a bit more to the table that way. He just couldn’t get it together.

• reinjosh says:

He’s in between both those numbers. His shooting rate was insanely high that year, but it was the complete opposite this year. He shot nearly 5 percent less than his previous career shooting percentage (and I’m not even taking into account his 17 percent shooting in his 30 goal year) and almost 40 shots lower than his career average.

I still thinks he can be a capable 20 goal, 20 assist guy that plays a very strong defensive game. He’s not the type of player I want to lose.

I hope arbitration doesn’t sour Kuly on the Leafs. I honestly think he can be a core player long term. Not a star player, but a good strong defender that can provide solid secondary scoring.

• JoelLeafs says:

They wouldn’t take him to arbitration if they were going to give him a raise. He’s an RFA under 26 and makes over a mil, so they’d have to offer him a 1,2 or 3 year contract worth at least 100% his current value. Since they are bringing him to arbitration, they don’t think he’s worth the 2.35 per he’s currently making.

In arbitration he can make no less than 85% of his last seasons salary of $2.35 million, which means, he’ll earn no less than $2.075 million, but I doubt he’ll get much more than that.

• reinjosh says:

Arbitration usually doesn’t happen though, teams and players like to get a deal done before then. And Kulemin apparently has no desire to play elsewhere. Even in the worst case scenario, this may be for the best. It gives Kulemin one more year to show that he’s not a 7 goal scorer and prove that he can be more than that. The Leafs get to evaluate him a little longer. If he doesn’t look like he will sign we can ship him out at the deadline for a decent price.

Franson is interesting to me. He’s got all the raw skills to be a pretty good top 4 dman but for whatever reason he doesn’t get give time to develop into that kind of player. Three straight coaches now have almost refused to give it to him. It’s a little strange and makes me wonder if I’m missing something. I don’t think Burke will trade him but I’m more a fan of trading him. I don’t think he has a place here, better to move on and get a decent asset while he still has potential (and give him a shot), then hold onto him and see him just be a depth guy.

6. leemon says:

The more I hear about the leafs turning Van Riemsdyke into a center The more I realize. That more i realize that this is a copout move by burke in his inablity to land a true No.1 center. I don’t think there is a any relief coming in the likes of a Bobby Ryan or Getzlaf.Reason being that at this point with with Nash naming the teams he’s willing to go to(No Canadian teams) Other teams will be turning there attention to Ryan and Getzlaf and so on,Driving up the price.

With teams insisting on Gardiner being apart of any package to land these players. Its hard to see any needs being fulfilled with teams unreasoable asking prices,at least not before the season starts.

As for Kulemin anything more then 2.5 mil a year I walk away, Even that is to much for 7 goals no matter how good defensivly he is. We have way to many forwards that make to many millions of dollars that don’t don’t even come close to justifing these overloaded contracts.

As for Doan he’s like a 35 year old version of Nash who doesn’t want to play in Toronto.Loads of leadership ability, But way overhyped as a point producer.

Bottom line, The “True Hockey deal” is Dead. Until these GM’s start to become a little more realistic in there expected return and not try to hit a home run with every player they have, It’ll be hard to see much movement on the trade market.

Lol thats my little rant for the day

• I agree with with Mojo said. Kulemin is definitely better than 7 goals. Yeah, he had a bad season. I’d compare it with Dubinsky who had a bad season when you look at points, yet did everything else right. I’m not sure that he’s a 30 goal scorer, but I can see him hitting 20 again.

• nordiques100 says:

Kulemin is the Leafs only two-way forward.

Grabovski can be a turnover machine at times.
        MacArthur at times suffers from horrible brain lapses in his own zone.
        Bozak is too wet kleenex weak to handle anyone.
        JVR, well i think he might be ok, but we’ll see.
        Lupul can be lazy and cheats in the zone.
        Kessel is the Leafs worst defensive player period.

Kulemin’s defence may unjustly cause him to be placed on the 3rd line. I personally think his presence is needed on the top 2 lines since it would mean, without him, all offence and no defence for more than half the game with our forwards. High risk, no reward IMO.

• reinjosh says:

Kulemin had a horrible year offensively. He’s not that bad. His career average for shot % is 11 percent (not using the 17 percent number). He shot 6.5 percent last year. He also shot over 20 shots less than his rookie season (129 shots, which was his worst and was attained with only 13 minutes of time, compared to 15 last year). And like you said he received mostly third line time.

It’s just very unlikely he plays like he did last offensively. It was so uncharacteristic of him, I don’t think it will happen again. Even if he hits his previous career low in shots and gets back to his career average of 11 percent shooting, he’s hitting 13 goals minimum.

I’m still betting he improves slightly on his career shooting average, gets second line time and hits around 150 shots, meaning a likely 15 – 18 goals next season.

• nordiques100 says:

i never said Kulemin was bad offensively.

I said he’s too good defensively that they may need him on a checking line should they go for that.

but, i think he needs to be on the scoring line cause he is teh only forward that can defend among the potential top 6 guys.

the rest of them are brutal defensively.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

considering the Leafs have 9M in cap space, letting Kulemin walk over a 1 year 2.5M contract would be retarded.

The whole JVR thing makes sense, but I don’t think they are intentionally hyping him up as a centerman. I think they intended to try him out there the second they traded for him assuming of course they could not acquire a no.1 center which in fairness is really hard to do.

Getzlaf is the only really good big no.1 center that may be available and there has been no real evidence that Anaheim is even shopping him. If they are not planning to move him the only way the Leafs get him is if they massively overpay and with his pending UFA status I doubt they do it right now.

In my opinion the Leafs have:

Core: Lupul, Kessel, JVR, Kulemin, Grabovski, Frattin, Ross, Biggs, Percy, Reilly, Gardiner, Phaneuf.

If they don’t move these guys, but happen to be able to bring the team help, I say then its a win-win situation for the Leafs.

If they did move one of these players, it would have to be for someone who’d be part of the core. i.e move Gardiner in a trade that could bring them Shea Weber.

Also on my core list is the 2013 1st round pick. They’ve got to keep it IMO, unless again, something like a Weber, or Getzlaf or something world class comes along.

In addition, I don’t see these players being moved: Reimer, Scrivens, Holzer, Gunnarsson, Blacker, Liles, McKegg, Ashton, Steckel, McClement, Komarov, Brown

These aren’t untouchables however. These guys could be use as throw ins in some deals if necessary, but I think the team has invested enough in these players to keep them around for now.

These are the minor league team guys: Owuya, Fraser, Gysbers, Kostka, Mikus, Hamilton, Scott, Deschamps, Abbott, Brenner.

They are really not a factor.

There is a secondary layer of young players: Mueller, Broll, Carrick, Ryan, Granberg, Finn, Rupert, Crescenzi, Leivo, Rynnas

They could be moved, but for now, they are in the long term developmental plans to add organizational depth.

This to me, leaves the following to offer up in trade: Komisarek, Lombardi, MacArthur, Bozak, Connolly, Franson, Orr, Kadri, Colborne, D’Amigo

You have a mix here of young NHL roster players, bad contracts, veterans and prospects. Its not a great list by any stretch.

But, to strengthen the Leaf’s top nine up front, strengthen the D and add a goalie, a few of these assets could be used.
    Now, I am a big proponent for having the Leafs go after a big name and am ok to dip into that core group mentioned above. People hesitant to do that, and hesitant to give up on good assets but, I do have a reason.

its not just getting a top guy, who’d for sure help. I believe a Nash, a Weber, a Ryan etc, would help. To me, its sending a message. It sends a message that Toronto is serious about winning. Serious about acquiring the best players when available, and serious about being better.

I think players around the league would take a step back and think whoa! the Leafs got Weber?????? Hmm, well that’s a place I may want to play or a player I want to team up with.

I think that’s so important. We’ve lamented how they didnt get Suter, Parise, Kovalchuk etc etc, but I think in reality they didnt want to be here. Nothing here sells them to want to be in Toronto. The city for sure won’t be a big enough sell. And they’re not winning so what’s the next best thing? Bringing in guys who make a huge impact. Weber for example is that type.

I think fans have to think about that for a second.

But, in the risk averse universe that is Leaf Nation, I best tread the low key route.

So here is something that a) doesn’t take away from the core, but b) may help the Leafs be a playoff outfit.
    Kadri, Connolly and a 2013 2nd for Luongo

I think that deal is very similar to the Michalek, Cheechoo, 2nd for Heatley trade made by Ottawa and San Jose.

Heatley had a large contract, 5 years left instead of Luongo’s 9 years, but 7.5 mil instead of 5.3. so there are similarities. Both are big name, veteran stars. Luongo though is a bit older.

Cheechoo and Connolly are about the same, but due to the longer term of the deal, and Luongo’s age, they should have to take back that salary. It’s 4.5 compared to Cheechoo at the time which was just below 3 mil.

The draft picks are a wash.

Kadri is a good prospect, but he’s unproven compared to Michalek who was already a 20 goal scorer. It makes sense to not send back someone as good as Michalek because again, the age, the term and so forth. But, Kadri does have some promise. Its the least that could be done considering Connolly is dumped onto the Canucks.

After re-analyzing and going back, looking at the Heatley trade, I think this is only fair and a fair deal for both teams. Luongo’s 9 years will not bring back much more than that i dont believe.
    D’Amigo, MacArthur, Franson for Hjalmarsson, Olesz and Kyle Beach.

I think Hjalmarsson is worth more but the Hawks will appreciate the salary dumps. Franson would be a decent replacement for Chicago, adding a big, RH Dman to add size and physicality to a rather smallish D.

They get a top 9 forward in Mac who has an expiring contract, unlike Olesz who is still owed for 2 more years. He’s someone the Leafs could actually play….or waive and bury in the minors. its not a big deal. it helps save Chicago some money.

D’Amigo didnt fare too bad last year and had a good playoff. He could have a promising future. Beach is more highly regarded. He’s coming off injury, but big, tough, rugged, all qualities Toronto needs now.

Hjalmarsson would help the Leafs D. I think a true top pair of Gardiner and Phaneuf should be put together, but a reliable shutdown duo of Gunnarsson and Hjalmarsson as the second pair would really help the Leafs. Toronto needed another guy who could replace Schenn and play in the top 4. Komisarek and Liles I don’t think are good enough for that.
    Lombardi to Columbus or TB for a draft pick

Tampa has many french Canadians and could use depth and I think would be a good fit there. Columbus needs top 9 forwards of any kind.

Lombardi too did have his best year with Doan. the Leafs could also do this deal, save cap, and re-unite the former Coyotes.

Now this deal dips into more than just the 10 tradeable parts, but I think would be worth it in the end.

Bozak, Blacker, Brown and Mueller for Morrow and a late pick.

Morrow would be huge for the Leafs. He’s a true leader and would help Toronto no longer be a team taken lightly. He may not be the 30 goal man anymore but still brings it every night. Just being in the room would be huge for Toronto. And he’s healthy again, meaning maybe he can score 20-25 goals. I think too his willingness to play physical will rub off on the younger Leafs, like say Frattin and Ashton and even Colborne.

The Leafs lacked heart, courage, and leadership. All traits Morrow brings in spades.
    The team could look at the following free agents to add some depth: Eric Fehr, Cal O’Reilly, Daniel Winnik, Victor Oreskovich, Ryan O’Marra or bring back Jay Rosehill.

I don’t think there is enough interest by Toronto in the likes of Wolski(work ethic), Mueller (injuries), Arnott (age), Doan (don’t think he’s interested actually).

So there you have it, holes filled, team improved, main pieces not touched. While I’ve said I’m all about the big name, i did say too, big names could come either via the draft (an important piece Toronto needs to continue to perform) and by winning. Luongo, Morrow, Hjalmarsson could help them win enough to crack the top 8.

That in itself is a promising step.

The core is intact.

there still is a large quantity of young players, including Colborne who i ended up not including in any deal.

And it filled some pressing holes.

They’d still have questions, like can JVR play centre, is Frattin ready, do they move Kulemin to the 3rd line, which young goalie sits? But, I’d be more comfortable with that team, then them standing pat, doing nothing.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

fun read, the Heatley / Luongo comparison was interesting, didn’t really think of that but I still wouldn’t have given up Kadri. That’s my opinion though.

Also I think at the time Cheechoo was a straight cap dump and was a complete long shot to turn his game around, not 100% on that. Connolly is a better player than that, he may not be top 6 anymore but if he is not he is still a NHL player unlike Cheechoo.

Because of that I would consider a deal of Connolly, D’amigo, 2nd round pick a fair one if you compare the Heatley trade.

Connolly Cheechoo (no cap hit and has potential to make the roster someday unlike Cheechoo who had little to no value)
      2nd = 2nd (clearly)

So the differences are the players, while the Michalek package is better than the Connolly one you have to take Luongo’s contract into consideration arguably making the deal very fair.

Maybe the Leafs should add in a 2014 3rd or a player like Mikus or Ryan to get Vancouver to pull the trigger now and prevent a team like Florida from saying screw it and offering Vancouver more.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

haha I used the less than and greater than signs in the comparison and it got removed because they are tags. I’ll re-post that part:

Connolly |lesser than| Michalek (obvious reasons)
        D’Amigo |greater than| Cheechoo (no cap hit and has potential to make the roster someday unlike Cheechoo who had little to no value)
        2nd = 2nd (clearly)

• TimTheBone says:

I’m sorry but that’s an absolute garbage trade for Vancouver and they would never go for it…. I don’t care what luongos value may seem like….

D’amigo is a guy who in all likelihood will be a fringe nhler…. This season in the minors will be a real telltale sign of his potential but 41 points in 76 games isn’t promising at all …..

The bottom line is no one from that trade will be in vancouvers line-up past 2012-13…. It’s almost like they’re giving luongo away for that package…. I’m sorry but its shit…. There needs to be at least one decent player who will contribute some for the nucks…. Bad contract or not Lou is still a star netminder… A legitimate #1 goal tender… Career #1 tender……. They ain’t just going to give him away, and I’m sorry but his contract doesn’t sway his value THAT much…. They will for sure get at least one significant piece back…. A first round pick, or a good prospect, or a top six forward… At least one of those pieces will and should come back for him… None of which is in your offer…

• TimTheBone says:

And before anyone tries the whole heatley comparison again…….. Michalek was a legit top 6 forward at the time… Four seasons of 50+ points and 20+ goals sure as hell qualifies him as top 6…..

• dumbassdoorman says:

Lou will not fetch as much in trade as you believe, IMO. As the season nears(if there is one) and that he has publically stated it is mutual, his value decreases. However, that being said if there is changes in the CBA it could seriously inprove or regress his value.

• nordiques100 says:

D’Amigo isn’t worth it, but I believe that Kadri or Colborne would be.

They are good prospects but yet unproven… Ryan McDonagh say for the NYR when he became a Ranger in the infamous Scott Gomez trade.

He hadn’t turn pro yet, was still in college, very good prospect, who obviously turned out to be something a lot better than that, but, did anyone know that at the time? Jake Gardiner, a fellow Badger, sort of took the same route, out of college, who knew how good, and turned out to be real good so far.

Colborne or Kadri are higher end prospects. That’s as good as its going to get.

I am pretty sure on Florida’s end, its either Keaton Ellerby or someone like Nick Bjudstad. They wont go as far as Gudbranson.

Its prudent for Gillis to wait it out, but, I dont think either team is going to go beyond that. And with it just being a two team race, there are not many options for Gillis. That will factor in as well.

If though Luongo comes out and says, Florida or nothing, well that’s even worse for the Canucks. Its not sensible to keep almost 10 mil paid to their goalies.

I think it would be different had there been like 10-12 teams, like Nash for example. Howson can sit back and watch teams over-bid. here, its very limited. Not a ideal situation for the Canucks.

• TimTheBone says:

Well I only said that the d’amigo deal was garbage …

And one of, a 1st, top 6 forward, or GOOD prospect…

I never claimed to say it would be a large package either ….

It does.t have to be a package consisting of three four pieces… This is where your minds are messing up the trade in your head…. Who says ot can’t be like a straight up 1 for 1 deal…. It could happen that way…..

I think you guys are drastically under valuing him… The heatley trade is a good example because heatley handcuffed Ottawa in what they could fetch for him … And het they still got a top 6 forward…

I’m not tying to give any scenarios but, connolly and damigo is horrible for Vancouver and a Mike milbury type of deal

• nordiques100 says:

that deal is brutal. which is why i feel one of the leafs Better young players has to be included.

• dumbassdoorman says:

I really think it will boil down to a to more of a cap type trade, IMO. Especially with so little suitors, unless like I said the CBA changes his value. I think you will see a swapping of a bunch of none to middle propspects and a 2nd round or decent prospect so as everyone involved looks like a winner. But Lou saying he wants out lowers his value to me and weakens Gillis position. It also comes down to who can wait longer.

• nordiques100 says:

well its hard for Gillis to ask for much when there is like one other team.

and i can understand that Gillis wants more, but he can’t go into the season with Luongo. He can say he can all he wants, but this is Schnieders team now and should be his ball to run with.

• TimTheBone says:

I don’t think so…. Lous cap hit is peanuts when looking at others goalie situation…. I can’t see teams low balling an offer to the point that gillis is giving him away…. This isn’t the mafia here…. Gillis isn’t going to get a monster sick package… But he isn’t going to get a steaming pile of shite either…… A kulimen type player will be included…… Someone who can come in and play right away and contribute maybe 20-25 goals… 45-50 points…. Regardless of any contract issues Lou is still a top goalie… And lots of teams need a top goalie…. Teams are always looking for a top goalie…. Lou is that… Maybe not the best but still tops…..

Teams aren’t going to be able to reem gillis and bend him over for this…. But its works the same vice versa in gillis’s case

I hope you’re right Tim. I hope the price for Lu remains ridiculous so that he just stays in Vancouver. We don’t need that shit choker in Toronto. Roberto Luongo and Mike Gillis can pretty much suck my balls.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

I’m not saying Luongo is worth giving up a Kadri skill-wise but considering his massive contract and NMC I doubt teams risk paying that much for him.

I could be wrong and someone may give up something significant for Luongo but considering the teams that are interested, right now I cannot see him fetching a great return.

• TimTheBone says:

The NMC is a non factor for teams who are acquiring him…. The NMC only lasts I believe one more season… Maybe even less… It might be over by seasons start… In any case Lou doesn’t have a NMC of any kind for the remainder of his career…. It’s a simple money issue…. Actually its not even a money thing… It’s a term thing…. Lous contract is low in terms of dollars… It’s purely a term thing

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

Luongo’s clause remains on for the entire contract until he gets traded so as long as he is with Vancouver he will have a NMC.

Luongo at the end of the 2013-2014 season can make a list of 5 teams he will accept a trade to, if he does not then Vancouver can request a 5 team list at the end of the 2017-2018 season. If Luongo submits a list in 2014 and he isn’t traded then Vancouver cannot ask for a list in 2018.

Of course all that is moot if he gets moved this year which is what Vancouver must do IMO. You risk having Schneider demande a trade if you don’t.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

Of course all that is moot if he gets moved this year which is what Vancouver must do IMO. You risk having Schneider demand a trade if you don’t.

Ok cool…..

My first sentence still holds up though…. The NMC is of no concern to any team acquiring him

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

true but it does reduce the number of teams that can get him though which will reduce his value greatly. If Columbus and others like them were in the Luongo hunt I’m sure he would fetch that top prospect or player and a 1st easy.

And his regular contract definitely reduces the number of teams that want him. Tampa Bay would have went for him no problem but because of the massive contract they would have to send back Lecavalier which Vancouver was not doing.

In the end I don’t know what he will go for, but I think if Toronto does get him he wont cost us a Kadri or better. I just don’t see it in the current market.

8. 93killer93 says:

Washington signs Wolski for 1 year 600k. I really wish the leafs would have taken a chance on him.

9. reinjosh says:

Mike Brophy ‏@sportsnetbroph

“Had a nice chat with Nazem Kadri this morning. Man, I love that kid’s enthusiasm! Working hard this summer with Gary Roberts.”

Good to hear. Going to love seeing how the “bad attitude” story continues it’s reign of idiocy though…

I didn’t realize he was training w Roberts. He might just make it this year. Interesting guy to keep an eye on anyways

• nordiques100 says:

i never thought he had a bad attitude.

People tell us to not buy into the Toronto Leafs drivel but here they go here buying into whatever Wilson was saying.

Kadri’s problem was Ron Wilson. You will see Luke Schenn too flourish not playing for Wilson.

They raved how he did great for Grabovski, Gardiner looked like a star in the making and Lupul emerged, but the bad have outweighed the good 10 fold. Just ask Luke Schenn and James Reimer.

Kadri is a great example. I have never seen a player, a rookie, in over 25 years of watching hockey get 3 points and a difference maker on 90 percent of his shifts and still be ripped by the coach.

its like those parents who give their kids the strap for getting 100 percent on their test but getting the bonus question wrong. It was a FN joke.

The team, the individuals on it are fragile enough. There already was not enough fortitude on this core group to succeed. The coach didn’t need to soil it anymore. Especially with how young they were.

Carlyle is a hard coach too. but he was communicative, patted guys on the back, encouraging, which were all things they told us he never did, but he understood the situation.

I just dont think Wilson on his high horse was down low enough to realize what the F was going on.

but, oops i said something was wrong with the Leafs. watch me get ripped for it.

• reinjosh says:

I’ve ripped you for stuff before but I won’t here haha (I do think your one of the best posters here as an aside. I know you can take it as well).

Your not wrong in saying that this team was fragile and Wilson didn’t help it at all. He just f*ed with players. It was odd and it didn’t help things.

I’ve rarely seen a top picked player who hadn’t done much to dissapoint get screwed with as much as Kadri did. For what it’s worth he actually dealt with it pretty well. But Wilson just didn’t give him any opportunity.

I think Carlyle will be good for him and the team in general like you said. Hopefully…

10. toronto77 says:

So apparently JVR is training hard to be the leafs no.1 centre. JVR for the most part was a winger for the flyers but when injuries struck, he did play centre at times. Though I think he played as the no.2 centre and never as the no.1.

But this kid is absolutely ecstatic about coming to Toronto. When some players get traded and they are asked about how they feel, you usually hear the usual BS, like “it’s a great team, great organization and I’m happy to be a part of it” Of course the player getting traded away is going to say something positive, he’s not going to start off playing for his new team with an openly public bad attitude.

So it’s usually hard to tell which players are Bull shitting because they all say the same thing, but one thing is for sure, JVR was not bull shitting, this kid is super pumped to play here and finally get the opportunity to prove himself as a top line guy.

I thought he was going to play on the 2nd line with Kulemin and Grabo, but looks like he is going to centre Lupul and Kessel. JVR has ALL the tools to be a no.1 centremen, just a matter of if he knows how to play it.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I was hoping when we got JVR it was to try him at centre. He has good size and skating ability to play there and as you said, he seems happy for the opportunity to be a top guy. This also would create a very good 1-2 with him and Grabo and means one more top six winger, like Ryan for example, would make our top six pretty potent.
      Say we could get Ryan for (I threw this by a couple friends last weekend, they thought it was fair) Kadri, Connolly and 2013 first.
      Analogy of trade: Anaheim gets a potential top 6 winger to take Ryan’s place (to an extent, in Kadri) , a good number 2 centre(Connolly)who’s cap hit helps them reach the cap floor and Connolly may excel under new surroundings, they also get a first rounder incase kadri doesn’t pan out.
      Toronto gets a proven 30 goal winger to play with Grabo and Kulimen or Grabo and MacArtur.

Top two lines:

Lupul JVR Kessel
      Kulimen Grabo Ryan

Looks good for possibly many years.

Another trade I thought possible, if Komi would waive his NMC, is Komi to Winnipeg for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Winnipeg needs to reach the cap floor and Komi’s cap hit is higher than his pay. Plus, Komi and Byfuglien could be an intersting pairing.

Still tradeable would be Bozak, Lombardi, MacArthur and prospects like D’amigo, Holzer etc possibly even Scrivens. A combo of these players could possibly get us a more veteran guy between the pipes.

I know you’re not a fan of this, but I do believe with the trade for Bobrovski by Columbus that Mason could be in play. I would prefer Mason and Reimer over Bernier and Reimer actually. More experience than Bernier and Mason may come cheaper via trade.

• toronto77 says:

I would really like Ryan, but like I said before. I think the day Burke hired Carlyle was the day he pretty much lost a trading partner in Anaheim. Carlyle wasn’t just fired because the he wasn’t good, for some reason there was a major communication issue between him and the players, and most of the them probably grew to hate him, I would believe Ryan was one of those players as well.

With Carlyle behind the bench I don’t see Burke going after Ryan, just between Carlyle and Burke I’m sure burke asked him what really happened, and what would happen if he acquired some players from Anaheim.

I do agree Mason would be cheaper but I still think Bernier would be better, it’s clear he wants out, so maybe burke can snag him cheap.

So if the Leafs are more interested in continuing to grow a youthful squad and target guys who are young, with potential, well then instead of Luongo, I would go after Jonathan Bernier.

I think trading either Kadri or Colborne would be a great start of a package. Both players carry a lot of potential, like Bernier. So either one would probably be a nice fit in LA.

I would carry it further and try and acquire Kyle Clifford as well or Dwight King. Adding a big body to the team would be big for the Leafs. While the team may be littered with 3rd or 4th line players, one of King or Clifford would be a better fit being big and physical players who take the body.

So, considering the Leafs have both Reimer and Scrivens, and in such a trade would get back Bernier, I would include Scrivens in the deal and something like a 3rd round pick.

So Scrivens, Colborne and a 3rd for Clifford and Bernier. Or, I’d replace the 3rd with prospect Jerry D’Amigo. If necessary I’d move a Dman too if need be such as Blacker.

I know, people are going to go crazy because of the so called riches being given to LA, but honestly, as I said above, if it doesn’t touch the core, it’s not a big deal.

I think Bernier is an infinitely better option than Luongo. cheaper, 10 years younger, has loads of potential and is ready to be a no. 1. Him and Reimer can battle it out. I think it would be great for the team.

yes the argument would be that the team would go again with a young tandem, but I think Bernier is a lot different than Gustavsson in that he’s ready for the job. he couldn’t get that chance though with Quick.

i think that’s the way to go for Burke. Get Bernier.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

that offer there is a pretty good one, I think Blacker or someone similar would have to be included especially if we want Clifford back but it is a sweet deal for the Leafs.

We get a potential no.1 goalie for the next 6 years or so minimum (Probably what Burke would re-sign the kid for if he comes out as the clear no.1 goalie) for a top 6 forward prospect, an excellent young replacement for Bernier in Scrivins and a couple of decent prospects.

Would love that deal.

• reinjosh says:

I feel like I’ll be on an island with this view (and I’ll likely get roasted for being “content with mediocrity”. so be it) but I’ll say it anyways.

I have very little desire to give up top assets for a buy whose only claim to being a better goalie prospect than Scrivens is draft pedigree. They have very comparable AHL numbers and although Bernier has (mildly) better NHL numbers, much of that can be attributed to playing for a better defensive team.

Are you really that willing to give up top assets for a guy who has a mere 48 NHL games under his belt and really hasn’t displayed high end talent in those games? I’m certainly not.

I’ll give up what Tampa/Columbus paid for similarly valued goalies. I will not give up a top prospect and a comparable goalie asset for him. Picks? Fine, but not Colborne.

Sorry but he’s not worth it. And yeah I’m prepared to here remarks about how I’m “overvaluing” Leaf players and not willing to make the big move.

Are you prepared to give up an asset like Colborne for a player that may very well be getting made to look better than he is playing on one of the leagues best defensive teams?

I have no issue going with a young tandem, and I don’t really even think Bernier is that bad a of a goalie. He’s just not worth giving up a potential top asset like Colborne for.

• TimTheBone says:

Yeah I agree josh… I believe berniers value is slightly overbblown…. Realistically a package of berier and Clifford should only cost scrivens, colborne, and a 2nd….. Nothing more…. That is the maximum it should cost…. And at this point I’d say it wouldn’t be a smart move…. Is let half the season play out before looking at a deal like that… Leafs aren’t competing for a cup this year regardless of any moves so let things play out before making those decisions

• dumbassdoorman says:

I am with you, I am not oppsed to giving up quality assets, however if we are gonna give up quality assets, I would rather it be part of a larger package for an impact player. Now that being said for anyone except Lou, while an impact player still, not one I would sell the farm for.

• 93killer93 says:

For what it’s worth, Burke said on the Fan590 that they had no interest in adding an unproven goalie. So if they bring in a goalie, I would expect it to be someone along the lines of Luongo or Backstrom.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

If the cost is slightly higher than what Tampa paid for Lindback then we have to go for Bernier. Giving up lets say:

2013 2nd
        2014 2nd

for Bernier is a freaking steal. Even if you throw in Blacker we still win the deal. Worse case Bernier doesn’t pan out and we gave up zero impact or future impact players / pieces.

I think Burke should offer it and see if LA blinks. Having Bernier/Reimer/Scrivins fighting for the next 3 years for the starting position should be so fun to watch.

• TimTheBone says:

But why would LA buy into that deal…. If you yourself can say that Toronto would be giving up ZERO impact pieces why would LA take it…… It’s said time and time again… You can’t trade quantity for quality….. Sure bernier could bust but his potential says otherwise, which is why everyone wants him…if you’re going to trade for him you need to trade a similar piece… Like a colborne of Kadri…. You can’t give a clear package of garbage for an impact player….. Lombardi isn’t a dummy

• JoelLeafs says:

Yeah, I’m with you on this one. I mean, he did have that impressive stretch last year, but I don’t see him as a clear number 1.

Now I think it would be nice to have some competition for Reimer other than an outright star that will push him to a perpetual backup role, but I’d be very weary of giving up assets at this point.

It’s unrealistic, but getting rid of some of the older defenders would be nice, but I doubt any team, especially LA is going to give us anything significant (or anything at all) for Komi and a pick.

The Marlies’ run last year evidenced the talent we are starting to acquire in this organization, especially if you consider all the injuries they sustained. I think staying to course and trying to pick up a big name in free agency or a trade where we have a major surplus without losing much in the way of organization depth and talent is the way to go.

• toronto77 says:

I’ve been saying that for the last month, I really hope Bukre gets him. Any idea what LA’s asking price is?

12. 93killer93 says:

Apparently Toronto was in on Mueller before he signed in Florida.

• toronto77 says:

We really should have pushed harder. Mueller is a low risk high reward type of player, and florida got him cheap, it’s looks like burke didn’t try hard enough for this american boy.

Toronto seems to be in on a lot of these guys who sign elsewhere.

• TimTheBone says:

Hey I said it in an earlier thread…

It’s rather funny that in nearly every deal you hear of Toronto is either involved or at least rumored to be involved….. Who knows if its true or not but i find it comical….. To me and this is only my opinion… It feels like burke is feeling the pressure and is desperate…..

13. razer1818 says:

Cant see why everyone is so upset about the LEAFS not signing Mueller. To pay a guy 1.75M who only averages .5 points per game. Dont we have enough of thoes already. I think people are nipping at straws just because BB has yet to do anything big. I have no problem with heading into the season with what we have now as long as there is an up grade in goal, wherether that upgrade is Bobby Lu or a Veteran Back up for Riemer. Dont forget the Leafs werea Playoff team till they stopped beleaving in Wilson. The Leafs are not to far off as long as Kuliman can return to the 30 goal season he had and Connolly ever gets his head out of his ass

14. realistic_leafs_fan says:

The only desperation I see is from Leafs fans. According to this site we should have tried to sign every top guy and all the 3rd and 4th liners as well. Lol
    The JVR trade is the key, even though I hate losing Schenn, it was a necessary move. Here’s why I believe it’s the key.
    With JVR slated in the middle (which I think is the right move), T.O is only a top 6 winger and a solid veteran backup from being a playoff team.
    If JVR is the centreman Burke has decided on, then a top 6 winger is the logical next move. It can also be done without likely moving Kessel, Lupul, or Grabovski.
    Ryan would be my first pick (I understand the Carlisle thing but believe it could be worked out).
    Obvious others are Nash and Kane but they may require Kessel in return to get the job done. I’m not against moving Kessel if we get a huge piece back, but it would be nice to get a piece without touching our core top 4 (Kessel, Lupul, Grabo, JVR)
    One less glamourized option could be Brian Boyle/Brandon Dubinski (as I have mentioned before) of the Rangers might be a decent (not perfect, but decent) fit on the second line with Grabo and Kulimen. Boyle huge, skates well for a big man and can penalty kill, plus he has a cheap cap hit and wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire. Dubinski may return to 20 goal form with a new team.
    As I have said before, we might be able to pull a Boyle and Dubinsky deal. Dubinski may find his touch in a different city. NYR is looking for scoring help as well.

How about

To Toronto
    Brian Boyle $1.7 mil (2 more years)
    Brandon Dubinski $4.2 mil (3 more years)

To Rangers
    Nazem Kadri $1.72 mil (1 year)
    Tim Connolly $4.75 mil (I year)

Partially an exchange of contracts neither team wants in Connolly’s and Dubinski’s, but Connolly’s is only for a year and he may return to a 60 pt form in NYR, giving NYR the edge on contracts.

Toronto gets bigger and grittier, but may be stuck with Dubinski contract for 3 more years if he doesn’t regain his 20 goal form. New second and third line wingers/centre leaving players like MacArthur and Bozak expendable to help acquire a veteran backup.

NYR gets a good prospect who will most likely be a good second line winger/centre and a veteran who could return to form but is no real risk as his contract is only for 1 year.

Toronto’s forwards
    Lupul – JVR – Kessel
    Kulimen – Grabo – Dubinski/Boyle
    Frattin – McClement/Colborne – Dubinski/Boyle
    Brown – Steckel – Rosehill

Risk for both teams, but both could benefit from the trade, as Kadri would have experienced veterans like Richards, Gaborik and Callahan to play with and learn from which could escalate his development.

Since, I do believe a trade is imminent…Who do you guys think might be the so-called “dark horse” trade we are not hearing mentioned?