Category Archives: Montreal Canadiens
Look for the Canadiens to use the Edler contract as a blueprint to resign Subban. hockeytraderumors.com
— hockeytraderumors (@hockeytraderumo) January 22, 2013
The contact dispute enters a new phase with the season opener and the early season results will have a bearing on the talks. Tomas Kaberle has moved into the top four on defence and if he can do the job and the Canadiens win a few games, Bergevin has bought some time and the pressure will be on Subban.
If the Canadiens stumble out of the gate, Subban is the winner and there will be pressure on the Canadiens to get a deal done. It’s one thing for a bunch of younger fans who didn’t pay for their tickets to Friday’s scrimmage at the Bell Centre to chant: “We want P.K.!” It will be another matter if the high rollers who buy season tickets take up Subban’s cause.
— Patrick Caisse (@PatrickCaisse) January 17, 2013
— Dennis Bernstein (@DennisTFP) January 15, 2013
Things can change on a dime, but told things aren’t close on the Subban contract front
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 13, 2013
The Scott Gomez era in Montreal appears to be at an end.
According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Canadiens have told Gomez he will not be a part of the team this season. Montreal will continue to pay Gomez for the season and his contract will count against the team’s salary cap.
Gomez’s salary for 2012-13 is $5.5 million but carries cap hit of $7.357 million (based on an 82-game schedule).
Will this be Erik Cole’s last season in the NHL?
Pat Hickey reports that Cole, speaking to the media Friday in Brossard, said family considerations and unhappiness over the new collective bargaining agreement will force him to review his situation at the end of the season.
“I enjoyed my time at home and the kids are in school here until the end of June and we’ll reevaluate things after that,” said Cole, who first raised the prospect of early retirement in October.
Before a deal can get done, the first agreement is yourself and your agent have to agree on the same things and I think we clarified everything (Monday). We know where we both stand,” said Subban, who is represented by Don Meehan of Newport Sports. “Now it’s his job to go and relay that Montreal and take it from there.
“We had a long summer to try and get things done and it didn’t happen so as far as I’m concerned, it’s out of my control. I can’t offer myself a contract. At this point now, I’m just waiting and making sure I keep myself in shape so that once I get to training camp, I’m ready to go. I’ve made it clear I want to play there and play there for a long time. My interest is nowhere but in Montreal. That’s never, ever changed and it’s never been a question. If anybody says anything different, they don’t know what they’re talking about.”
The Philadelphia Flyers have reportedly asked the Montreal Canadiens about the availability of restricted free agent defenceman P.K. Subban.
The Flyers are interested in adding Subban, who has been unable to come to terms on a new contract with the Canadiens. Philly will probably start the season with three blueliners — Chris Pronger, Andrej Meszaros and Andreas Lilja — out with injuries.
Sportsnet reported earlier this week that he was close to signing a three-year, $12 million deal but so far that hasn’t happened. Last month, TSN said Subban had rejected a two-year, $5.5 million offer.
Per #MTL Canadiens player,they expect ruling by Quebec Labor Board this week on teams ability to lockout.If court rules in their favor,and
— Aaron Ward (@aaronward_nhl) September 10, 2012
A handful of hefty issues weighed on Marc Bergevin when he was named general manager of the Montreal Canadiens in early May.
Now that he’s hired a head coach, Michel Therrien, locked up star goaltender Carey Price to a six-year deal, drafted highly touted forward Alex Galchenyuk and signed some gritty free agents, one more big question looms.
Will Bergevin buyout Scott Gomez, the club’s overpaid 32-year-old centre?
According to a report from Arpon Brasu, managing editor of LNH.com (NHL.com’s French site), who spoke with Bergevin on Monday, the answer is no.
Gomez, who is slated to rake in $5.5 million in 2012-13 and $4.5 million in 2013-14, had a buyout date of June 15. His buyout ratio would be set at 2/3 and his total buyout cost would be $6.67 million spread over four years, according to CapGeek.com.
The Alaska native became an NHL punch line in 2011-12 due to his lack of offensive production; he did not score his first goal of the season until Feb. 9.
Signs point to Krueger as Oilers head coach
Tallon Says Panthers Have Made Offer; Will He Sign?
CANADIENS FILE FOR SALARY ARBITRATION WITH PRICE
Penguins general manager Shero: I’m not trading Staal
P.A. DONE IN NY?
Parise not tipping hand as free agency nears
The question might not be whom to select in Friday’s NHL draft, but this: To trade or not to trade?
The combination of a relatively even distribution of talent among the first-round prospects, certain needs for teams selecting at the front end and a new collective-bargaining agreement looming has the potential for some big deals this week and into the weekend, when all 30 general managers will be in Pittsburgh, ostensibly to make their teams deeper through the draft.
Oilers GM Steve Tambellini said this past week he has no plans to trade the No. 1 overall pick, but he listened to offers, a new development from the past two seasons, when Edmonton did not hesitate to make Taylor Hall and then Ryan Nugent-Hopkins the top selections of 2010 and 2011.
Edmonton — like several teams, including the Islanders — has a crying need for help on defense.
So it might be more of a difference-making forward who gets dealt this week. Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash heads the list, having nearly been dealt at the trade deadline, although he still has a no-trade clause to determine where he’ll go.
The Rangers could be the biggest movers this week. Nash, Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf of the Ducks, and defensemen Shea Weber of the Predators and Tobias Enstrom of the Jets could be targets, with the Rangers using their No. 28 pick and/or some of their deep prospect pool to swing a deal.
Under GM Garth Snow, the Islanders have refused to deal picks and/or young players for established NHLers. This year is no different, although Snow is trying hard to land a defenseman to shore up a thin mix. Only Mark Streit, Travis Hamonic and Andrew MacDonald will be back from the team’s regular 2011-12 defense corps.
A restricted free agent such as the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban would have gotten Snow to strongly consider dealing the fourth overall pick, but new Montreal GM Marc Bergevin isn’t moving Subban, according to those who’ve spoken with him.